Time

03:56:17

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CenterRPG CenterQuestion Center
Archives » Can't login on the SWC IRC server
Dimitri
Dimitri
I'm using mIRC 6.16, and other servers such as DeviantArt work for me. Since the server shows a green light on the news page, I'm supposing it's working and it just doesn't work for me for some unknown reason. After it checks the ident it says :

* [10053] Software caused connection abort

And each time it retries to connect:

* Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)

Any help would be appreciated. I'm not that much of an IRC-pro :/

wishing.png\"

Check to see if you have a firewall or anything up. That was my problem the other day.

DacSigcopy.png
Avid Soyak
Asst Simmaster
avid@swcombine.com

[21:08] [.Veynom] love is for the weak !
Dimitri
Dimitri
I always have my Kaspersky firewall on, it never stopped me from logging in the server before. Also, other servers work, so I don't think it's that.

wishing.png\"

Have you tried using the Java client or a different port to connect to the server? Available ports are: 1080, 5000, 5555, 6660-6670, 8080.

mystats.php?uid=c1
If it's a firewall, it might be a new problem since the server has recently been set up to portscan users for proxies on connect. You may need to manually add an exception in your firewall settings if connecting on a different port doesn't work.

swcforumsig

Zero Turner
Zero Turner
I had that problem to...8080 as the port works best
irc.swcombine.com:8080 if your using chatzilla or jsut put 8080 in port in IRC

Zero-sig.jpg

Dimitri
Dimitri
Ok I managed to get it to work by increasing the permissions level for mIRC. It's weird, it seems it thinks that it is "scanning ports", which is supposedly bad...and also often it states a potential helkern attack, each time i connect to irc, coming from weird ports such as 113, I find that weird. But now it works. Any idea on what could be happening?

wishing.png\"

O-Ren Dogen
O-Ren Dogen
I get the error, "unable to resolve server". help. Im at work and they have firewalls here. what to do smart people.

I explained the reasons for that message in my last post, Dimitri. The server does indeed now scan ports on connect, as of about a week ago.

O-Ren, if you are behind a work firewall you may be out of luck, since it is unlikely you'll have administrative access to the firewall yourself. You can try connecting on one of the alternate ports (Togan posted the full listing a few posts up) to see if they are not blocked, but that is your only option, short of asking your network admin to allow IRC through.

swcforumsig

O-Ren Dogen
O-Ren Dogen
I tried some of the alternate ports, and I even tried using the Java chat applet but to no avail. I asked but the admin looked at me and laughed. Little rat bastard! I'll have his smug ass coding for weeks! How dare he deny me my goofing off time at work. (i take my slacking serious.)

Oh well, no irc for me then...thanks for your help.

Edited By: O-Ren Dogen on Year 7 Day 139 9:16
O-Ren, try a CGI:IRC page. I used to use one to connect through my school's firewall. They can be a bit of a pain, but it's better than nothing.

Here, try this link: http://www.polarhome.com/cgi-bin/chat/irc.cgi?adv=1

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
How does one go about increasing the permissions levels for mIRC? I've been having this same problem since the server started searching for proxies and I'm almost out of options and I miss my IRC *waaaaahhhhhhhh!*

Okay, I'm still having problems with IRC. It's telling me the MOTD file is missing. So I deleted mIRC and then reloaded it. Same thing. Disabled my firewall. Same result. Tried different IRC programs, no dice.

Is anyone willing to help me resolve this through DM so we don't clutter up this forum?

Have you tried the Javascript? Might give some indication if it's a problem on your end, in between, etc.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

You are connecting to the right server? Both irc.swc-irc.com and irc.swcombine.com should work. MOTD file is most definitely intact.

swcforumsig

I have tried the javascript. Doesn't work for me, so I'm pretty sure the problem is on my end. Bummer I don't know anyone who's computer savvy in my town. I'm sure you guys have better things to do. But, I haven't tried the OTHER server... didn't know there was one. Thanks, Syn! I'll give it a shot.

If the javascript won't work, I'm guessing it's a firewall issue. Do you connect directly or through a router?

I connect directly through cable modem. I have Norton Antivirus and Systemworks. Even when I disable it, I can't get onto IRC. I'm wondering if it's still somehow blocking the IRC portscan, which tells IRC not to let me on. I bought Norton, then figured out how user-unfriendly it is. Maybe I should just erase it.

That was it! I deleted Norton Systemworks and IRC is now working for me. Thanks for the help, guys! You rock. :)