Time

23:04:03

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Where in the spying rules...
Page 1 2 3 4 5
Year 8 Day 121 6:31

If you're not allowed to make yourself out to be something other than what you are, you basically have to ban all thieves for stealing, as they gave the victim the impression they would pay. The rule is, therefore, completely idiotic.

- Squall Tigroe

# You may agree to a deal with a member and receive their side of the payment but not contribute your own. i.e. Keir Santage agrees to exchange an R-41 for a Tie Fighter. A. Downer transfers ownership of the Tie Fighter to Keir but Keir refuses to give the R-41 to A.Downer. Be aware that people who do this will quickly become despised and shunned by the Combine community and would be lucky to land any more deals.

http://rules.swcombine.com/?Spying#You_May

Edit: fixed quote tags

Edited By: Yoshi Hikaru on Year 8 Day 121 6:35

RGC-2.gif
Governor Yoshi Hikaru
Governor of Pypin System
Year 8 Day 121 7:12
ahh CONTRADICTORY RULES!

*demands clarification!

Year 8 Day 121 12:58
Aral Sanders

1/ You May Not
# Impersonate a member of the combine for any reason. This means you may not steal a person's name on IRC or register on message boards with someone else's handle.

- Spying rules

The second sentence states that the prohibition of impersonation is solely for third party software (non-combine features). Sending hail-messages who can be misinterpreted does not fulfill this accusation.

2/ You May
Spread false information about yourself or another group/person for any reasons.

- Spying rules

This states that you are allowed to spread false ID information (...about yourself...).

Rules pages generally need a history where you can see who change from what to what for what reason.

1/ You May Not
# Infiltrate another group and then report or sell the information you gather about it to another group.

- Spying rules

This should be changed in "enter a group with the intention to defect from this group or harm this group in any way. You only should enter a group wanting the best for you and the group"

Defection is clearly stated as allowed, when you changed your mind after entering the group due to IC reasons, even if you dislike your faction leaders nose. But as intended this rule would clearly forbid to conspire by placing a traitor in an enemy faction (e.g. Kathol incident etc).

Nulla poena sine lege! - No charging/punishment without a law (existing)
This is basic juridical knowledge! And common sense means "common" sense, so it can't be up to a single person to gather everything into the Golden Rule. If there is a question about common sense, ask for example the rules team, maybe except members of the involved factions.

Another matter of course is that trials and punishment are public in a constitutional state. This should be valid here too. I do not intend to let everybody look into involved factions secrets, but it can't be that you may be involved in a rule breach as victim and you never hear about it and the punishment. Transparency in the rules (and their intentions) and punishment is essential.

Year 8 Day 121 13:08
Jeb`el Ras

I'm still waiting for an answer to my question.

The justification here is that he (Xior) was impersonating another member of the combine.

If that's the case, WHO was he impersonating?
'The pilot of the other TIE' doesn't cut it.
Unless he sent the hail claiming to be Bubba Smith, AND Bubba Smith was the pilot of the other TIE, he wasn't impersonating anyone .. unless 'generic possible member of the GE' is suddenly a real character in the game or a person playing a character in the game.

' ' ',
` Jeb`el
Moebius (co-founder)

When all its work is done, the lie shall rot; The truth is great, and shall prevail,
When none cares whether it prevail or not. - Coventry Patmore
Year 8 Day 121 13:17
The second sentence states that the prohibition of impersonation is solely for third party software (non-combine features). Sending hail-messages who can be misinterpreted does not fulfill this accusation. 

It refers to third-party areas because it is not possible for you to post using someone else's handle on these forums. Or send credits with someone else's name attached, etc. I doubt there was an example foreseen where a person could impersonate someone else on the SWC site.

This states that you are allowed to spread false ID information (...about yourself...). 

It means that I, Hal Breden, could claim to be a member of the GE. I could further claim that I was going to defect to the NAO. But I couldn't pretend I was someone other than myself while doing it.

Rules pages generally need a history where you can see who change from what to what for what reason.  

A history would become confusing, and further be abused in these kinds of threads. What IS needed is a clear announcement of all changes at the time that they occur. What they were changed from and to, and why.

This should be changed in "enter a group with the intention to defect from this group or harm this group in any way. You only should enter a group wanting the best for you and the group" 

No, it shouldn't, because that's not the point of the rule. You ARE allowed to enter a group with the intention to harm a member, or steal everything that isn't nailed down once you get enough privileges. All it means is that you can't join a group just to get their confidential information, and then sell it/trade it/give it away.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 8 Day 121 13:30
If instead of trying to analyze every rules sub-sentence and re-interpret them in a way that makes you feel superior to the admins, you all tried to propose rewriting of the concerned rules section in a clear way that can prevent cheats & abuses.

Keep in mind that the cause of these problems is not "these stupid biased admins" but rather these players that always think they come, play, cheat, then complain we don't let them cheat and they know better.

Finally, I would add that given the very International background of this game, it will be impossible to agree on one unique unequivocal rules text . Languages and cultures create different interpretation of texts.

I am closing this topic as it became useless. Those wishing to improve the spying rules are welcome to join the dev server where a forum for that was created weeks ago.

Sim Master Veynom

*** This post is written on 100% recyclable electrons. ***
Page 1 2 3 4 5