226 are online

Year

Day

Time

21:41:48

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » How to calculate travel time?
Year 10 Day 248 4:42
OK, I was wondering, how can one calculate travel time in system by knowing ship's sublight speed and coordinates?
For example, if your ship's sublight speed is 30 MGLT and you want to travel from system coordinates (0,1) to (10,1), how can you exactly calculate ETA in hours and minutes? I understand it should be distance/speed and if 30 MGLT is 300 km/h, how is distance in coordinates transformed into kilometers?
Thank you.

Year 10 Day 248 6:22
Sephiroth Rhapsodos

I was wondering this also. I've been having to make do with rough estimations based on journeys i've done previously.

sephiroth_rhapsodos_sig.png

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit!
Year 10 Day 248 7:43
I think I remember reading somewhere in the rules that the formula used for sublight travel is an admin/developer secret.

Persecutors of the innocent shall be destroyed!
Year 10 Day 248 7:59
Davsk Carvalm

It is, but you can use this: NavComp

Year 10 Day 248 8:15
Sephiroth Rhapsodos

that only does hyper times, doesn't it? which isn't so handy when you need to be very precise.

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit!
Year 10 Day 248 8:29
You need to reverse-engineer it, which has been the response every time before that someone has asked the same question. Sit in space, click a square away at various different speeds, do some math, and figure it out. ;)

Edited By: Mikel von Bianchi on Year 10 Day 248 8:29
Year 10 Day 248 8:49
Sephiroth Rhapsodos

so basically, get a group of ships, do some tests and work out a formula to use for ourselves? would it be removed if we posted if after finding it to make it easier on those less inclined towards numbers?

Year 10 Day 248 9:02
I don't see why; many people sell Excel calculators to figure out construction times/travel/whatever else.

Year 10 Day 352 8:34
So the pilot of a ship has no clue when he'll get to his destination? I have my doubts... lol

Year 10 Day 360 23:07
So the pilot of a ship has no clue when he'll get to his destination? I have my doubts... lol

- De`zheel Rynak Year 10 Day 351 8:34

The pilot can use the NavComp for hyper times, and can read the ETA if he's already begun travel. As far as predicting travel times ahead of time, the pilot must have figured out the equation, purchased one of the Excel calculators MvB talked about, or has otherwise read the formula somewhere else.

If you're saying that the way it's coded isn't exactly realistic (or the fact that the admins don't tell us), I ask you when was the last time you predicted exactly when you would arrive somewhere, down to the minute?

Year 10 Day 361 18:17
((Not driving a car, though if I am at 60 miles per hour in a ground vehicle, calculating drive time is a no brainer.

When I was taking piloting lessons, it was a requirement to calculate travel time as part of the trainiing. And you can be certain that commercial pilots and airlines know their flight times on all of their scheduled flights to within a very few minutes accuracy.))

Year 10 Day 362 6:06
Right, that's why there are never any delays in flight or train travels (or any other kind of travel for that matter) ...

Year 10 Day 362 19:35
Delays are not relevant to this particular discussion. This thread only asks if a flight time can be calculated. In the game, no. In RL...

Year 10 Day 362 20:54
Don't be an idiot and invent some sort of Excel sheet. You'll be able to calculate your travel time then.

Year 10 Day 362 21:27
lol

Never mind