171 are online

Year

Day

Time

22:51:20

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 11 Day 10 15:48
As I'm sure you could guess from the title, I have a few more questions.

1) What are NPCs for? Why would I want to own a few?
2) Pilot droids? Can I have them fly my ships around for me and pick stuff up?
3) If I abort a hyperspace jump, how likely is it that I'd hit a star? Is there a safe way to abort a jump?
4) Why do puppies have wet noses?

Year 11 Day 10 16:23
1) when combat comes out, npc's will be useful as soldiers. currently, though they are used for moremundane things, such as loading cargo.

2)?

3)while it says in the rules that aborting a jumc could lead to death, i personally abort all of the time( about 15 times) and have never come out remotley near a star or sun

4)puppies have wet noses as an indicator of well bieng. if a puppies nose is wet, then generraly, the dog is fine. if the nose is dry, take it to a vet.

Year 11 Day 10 16:43
1) NPCs will eventually be able to perform a variety of tasks. Their names give an idea of their function, but the best you'll get on any given type is an educated guess as to what might be possible. Nobody knows for sure until they're individually implemented.

2) Pilot droids are already partially implemented, and will continue to pilot your craft if you board a docked ship/vehicle. They may be capable of more later. They cannot be sent places independently with ships.

3) Many people have died from aborting. More people have survived multiple jumps. There are ways to guess if you're close to a system, based on the time you've been traveling and how SWC plots travel (hint: hyper works the same as sublight). The main thing to watch for is hidden systems, which you can't predict. You will be safe if you know you are outside of a known sector, as their are no hidden systems outside of sectors.

4) Well, I think Han about covered this one.

Year 11 Day 10 17:09
Year 11 Day 10 23:58
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

That's all wrong. The function of the wet nose isn't at all to serve as an indicator of well being, that's just a handy side effect. (though not always correct)

The truth is that there's no single identifiable reason for dogs to have wet noses. One theory is that dogs evaporate moisture through their nose in order to keep cool. Another is that the moisture on the nose makes it more sensitive to smells.

There's a biblical explanation too. According to the book of genesis, a dog saved Noah's ark from sinking. The dog found a hole in the hull and stuck his nose in it to prevent the water from getting in. A second dog ran to warn Noah, who proceeded to repair the hole. It is said that God gave dogs their wet nose after this event, as a badge of honor.

Oh, and some people claim it serves no clear purpose at all, it's just wet because they constantly lick it.

Year 11 Day 11 3:29
wrong.

i know from personl experience that wehn my puppy was born, within a week of bieng born, she had a wet nose. the nose stayed wet for about a year, when it became suddennly dry. we took her to the vet the next day, where they told us that she had a cold. we got some medication, and the next day, she was back to her usual self, wet nose and all. she has been the same for 14 yeas now, and the only time that her nose gets wet, is when she is sick.

so, there.

edit:my apologies. it dosen't make you wrong, it just means that you are generalising.also,you are not suppossed to use any ooc religion refrences,which you did.

Edited By: Han Jones on Year 11 Day 11 4:16
Year 11 Day 11 3:31
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

That...doesn't make me wrong at all.

Year 11 Day 11 4:37
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

To your edit:

I'm not generalizing. The function of the nose isn't to let you play doctor, that's just a happy side effect.

Year 11 Day 11 9:01
The restriction on OOC religion is a rule for a specific forum, and does not necessarily apply elsewhere. That said, it may well be considered off topic here and get the thread closed anyway since the original question has been answered.

Year 11 Day 11 18:54
There's a biblical explanation too. According to the book of genesis, a dog saved Noah's ark from sinking. The dog found a hole in the hull and stuck his nose in it to prevent the water from getting in. A second dog ran to warn Noah, who proceeded to repair the hole. It is said that God gave dogs their wet nose after this event, as a badge of honor  

This is dead wrong(false, not true, incorrect) anyway... (or a joke, but I must say that it is in bad taste if it is.)

Edited By: Tuural Snist on Year 11 Day 11 22:27
Year 11 Day 14 19:36
My question number 4 was kind of meant to be a joke...