182 are online

Year

Day

Time

23:32:39

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » The Reset is Finally Here! OR: Why must admins randomly destroy things to make it look like they'rebusy?
Page 1 2
Per the recent SimNews, I would have rather Flich had followed Jesfa's ostensible path of not doing anything, than randomly deciding he's going to delete everything ever posted in the Classifieds "so we can start all over again".

I can't wait until next week's edition of "I'm not useless, I'm a busy ASim", where a game developer announces they've randomly aborted all facilities under construction "so we can start all over again".

So was this a single user acting in bad judgment on his own, or was this actually a policy-based decision which we can expect to see more of, in the future?

TenielDjo.png
Gunther Innis Tennor

The classifieds were full of crap and more than half the ads violated the rules. Your complaining is just another round of your petty "Attack an Admin so I can later claim I got them to quit/fired."

Robotic Japanese Toilet: I give you...happy poopy time.
Fry: Sorry, you know too much.
Teniel's point still stands: Where is it written that classifieds ever expire?
Maybe that should be edited in.

ORE-Vip-Fortuna.png
or why couldnt the classifieds that were over 6 months old be cleared.
Or even better
why cant only the classifieds that violated the rules be cleared?
--Arch, out.

I welcome the cleanup. I find it annoying to come upon an ad that is no longer valid. I've always thought that they should expire automatically anyways.

I welcome the cleanup. 

Classified ads are not ships or buildings, credits or items. QQ.

or why couldnt the classifieds that were over 6 months old be cleared.
Or even better
why cant only the classifieds that violated the rules be cleared?
--Arch, out. 

Because if someone is not doing regular maintenance, there comes a point where it is much more efficient to simply clear it and allow people to start again than to try and find those actually breaking the rules or older than a specified date. Not even counting those not valid that the poster forgot/doesn't care about.

The amount of time available to devote to it might well be significantly less than the time it would take to clean it out properly. A full reset is more desirable than letting it remain, if it's particularly bad.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
...why can't someone regularly maintain it then?

Probably because the person who was doing it no longer had the time to do so, and either nobody noticed it, or nobody was appointed/volunteered to replace that person.

Nobody said it was policy that they were just going to ignore the Classifieds and then delete everything every 6/12/whatever months.

Usually a mass clearing heralds a new start and means someone's going to be taking better care of it from now on. Note the "usually".

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Year 11 Day 164 16:17
Deleted Post
Deleted by Jyncs Tahogah. Reason: Hal Posted before I did
A year or two ago I noticed that there were lots of illegal posts in there so I asked Syn (who was the mod for it) if I could help out, and was told that it was fine. I'm guessing that its gotten a bit unwieldy since then.

To be honest last time I looked at that months ago, most of the posts had been edited to say that what they wanted and been done rather than deleted, or recruitment posts for factions that no longer exist etc.

The only thing I could think of that people would object to is their faction recruitment post being deleted, but even then you should have a backup of it on your computer or elsewhere. If not, thats a lesson for you.

The first I heard of it was when the Sim News post came up, but then I would of said go for it if I had been asked anyway.

Ellias_sig6.png
It actually inspired me to go do a better check on the Positions Vacant forum... and I ended up deleting 12 illegal threads, handing out 2 bans (one actual ban to an individual, and one theoretical ban to a faction), and issuing another 3 warnings. I deleted so many threads it dropped from 5 index pages of threads to 4. I also periodically prune old threads in that forum without warning (most recently deleting anything dated Y10 or older) and not a single person seems to have noticed, let alone complained. I suspect there may be additional threads there for factions that no longer exist/changed name, but I'd need to cross-reference the faction list to be sure.

These are general maintenance actions that are carried out across the site from time to time, and I think if there hadn't been mention of it in the Sim News, very few people would have cared. But then a dozen or more people would have gotten a handful of DMs each asking what happened.

I have no problem with the occassional purging. Though I do wish I had an archive area for old Meeting Hall threads.

Not that many are actually WORTH archiving, but it's the thought that counts.

ZE_Cronus_sig3.png
ZE-believer.jpg
Ah don't believe people have a problem with pruning some dead wood, it's the chopping down of the entire tree that has them antsy, leading some to worry about the 'accidental' cleaning out of, say, the entire Gaming Forum

It's happened before, Tiali. If it gets bad enough, it'll happen again.

Wey might well remember he once purged the entire Positions Vacant forum when he'd been away for a while and it got bad. He gave 24hr notice... when I was updating my thread about once every 3 days. I was a little upset, but I got over it. Wrote something better.

And I was right: just had to delete 5 more threads. 4 for not being factions any more, and 1 NFG thread that somehow slipped by me.

Because it's hard to tell which are factions and which aren't anymore, Hal. Remember when you could name every faction, their type, and their leader?

And yep! I remember doing that. Purge the garbage to force them to make better posts, I say! <.

Yes, I remember those days. In fact I remember on a good day you could get a good portion of them in the main IRC room, and I probably still have most of those folks on my ICQ.

The wierd thing about the NFG post was it said "NFG" in the title! Must have been a day or two I wasn't checking it.

I'm not against a cleanup, but that was really pulling out the rug, to not warn people first. Why is it so hard to post a simnews that gives people a week notice about it?

For individual want ads, its no big deal, but for the Faction Hiring ads, they might need to go and copy their latest edition. You'll say "they should have it saved", sure, but some of us lose info when our laptops die. Or as Hal gave an example, it gets updated.

Please do us the courtesy of giving warnings.

The Classifieds are automatically purged. Posts older than six months (I believe is the age) are automatically deleted.

Beyond that, I suggested to Ellias when he brought up purging the Classifieds altogether to at least announce it in advance so people could back up their posts. Specifically because in far too many instances where I've deleted duplicates or posts that stretched the columns or something similar, I've had complaints DMd to me about the user no longer having a copy of the post. I suspect most people just use their old post on there to create a new post, rather than having an offsite backup (Ellias responded along the lines of "90% of people have backups anyway" but I doubt that estimate had any real basis). I still believe that an advance announcement is a better solution than to suddenly remove everything without warning. It's not as though it creates more work for the ASim than a single Sim News post, anyway, and it saves a lot of people a bit of trouble.

swcforumsig

... I suggested to Flich when he brought up ... 

Fixed for ya Syn. And yeah, my stat was pulled out of nowhere - like the saying goes. Although don;t see why a recruitment post wouldn't of been copied.

Ellias_sig6.png
Because sadly, Elias, many aren't smart enough to do it.

Page 1 2