213 are online

Year

Day

Time

19:23:06

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Can someone explain the latest Sim News please?
Page 1 2
Vrik Dakari

Okay, okay okay, I'm sorry I posted in the first place on this. I in no way intended for flames to start being thrown at people just because I provided a response that was not correct. I just assumed that since it was a feature that was included in the game, that it was not immoral to use, as I said above. If this is incorrect, then I apologize and appreciate the fact that I have been corrected. My assumptions were not even based on experience either, so for that I apologize further. I have used this feature in the past to see relatively where a ship I owned was, but as I now understand it, THAT is what its intended function is.

If I have that wrong as well, then feel free to correct me Hal. After reading your post that blasted my own (Which I in no way care that you did, I am welcome to it in fact. For me not to accept it would be hypocritical, as I blast others that sound and seem foolish regularly.), I now have a further understanding of what the feature is meant to accomplish. Simply put, I misinterpreted Heek's question, thinking that he was using it the way I said I have in the past. I was under the impression he was attempting to locate assets that were ships, not items that are onboard a ship that is not his.

Again, my apologies. I will not post an answer to a question unless I am FULLY educated in the answer, to further avoid confusion and blasting.

The issue isn't seeing where your belongings are. The issue is seeing where the enemy ship your fighter's been docked onto is located or finding out where the bastard is that stole your suit of armor is hiding.

Shuji Shizuka

Not to throw a proverbial spanner in the logic here, but hear me out for a second.

In today's modern world, we have things such as GPS in our car, telling us exactly where we are. We have those little things that go on your keychain, so that when you press a button it beeps, allowing you to find them. Hell, we can even call our own cell phones to figure out where they are.

So why is it so silly to assume that your intergalactic spaceship lacks something just like those features mentioned above, to tell you exactly where they are at any given moment? Who's to say that in the equivalent of the far future for us, we don't have a GPS on our belts/ toolboxes/ suits of armor? Can we really be naive enough to believe that if a sentient can cross the galaxy in a one man starfighter, they can't find their belt if they left it somewhere?

All i'm saying is that making it a golden rule violation and therby punishable, is more than a little ridiculous, especially when people can get away with all kinds of golden rule violations all the time and nothing happens.

This user is currently in the process of moving, and so is semi-inactive.
Vrik Dakari

Well, the ships do have such an option. We can always tell where they are, even without the Show on Galaxy Map function. The issue that arises with using the function to find a belt or whatever is exactly what Weylin said before. Who's to say that your proverbial belt isn't in the ship of a now enemy? If that were the case, we could just use the function of the Galaxy Map location thingy to find where they are and then go rape they a**es.

Hal, I think you're right in saying that a Sim News needs to be posted to clarify what is allowed to be done with this function. A lot of this has now confused me, although I think I've got it down now. Still, it is more than a good idea.

Shuji, if every item/asset ever produced ever in SWC had a GPS in it, then the GPS item would be a little redundant and completely pointless, would it not?

It is already possible to see where any asset in your inventory is, to the first container level. If it is aboard another asset in your inventory, then for your convenience it lists the complete location, rather than you going and having to look up the location of Ship Number 9.

If it's aboard Eidola's Stolen Stuff Staff Number 23, you are not supposed to know the location, and therefore the inventory does not show it to you.

Using the secondary feature to Show On Galaxy Map - which is again provided for convenience in planning routes or seeing when things are close/at the same location (really, it's great for visualising where all your stuff is and planning the best trip to pick it up) - to give you a location that has been specifically hidden in inventory is abusing a code exploit.

While the vast majority of the "offenses" are pointless to bother looking into or punishing people for, using it to get your location (for rescue) or getting the location of another individual (to try to a/e them, etc) is not allowed, and will be punished. Per the recent Sim News.

I would not recommend using it at all for an asset you can't see the sector/system location of, but the Sim News did not state that ASims would be looking into doing it unless you were tracking a character.

Heek, while it is true that an argument requires two (or more) people in order to continue, you could simply have stopped replying. What you did is basically taking your ball and going home. It's juvenile.
I'd have expected better from someone who chooses to lecture others on the manner in which they post.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
So we are now required to record on an outside source every detail of every purchase so when the time comes when we are able to go pick up our items that are stored in someone elses shop/ship/station we don't break any rule?

Hal....

That was a great explanation. seriously. Perfect (and Im not being sarcastic or anything)

Yes, everything you just stated may have been said in bits and parts in numerous other forums, and posts, and ways.. however, the manner in which you have just explained it in its totality was clear and concise. Kudos and great job!

Thank you.

Shuji Shizuka

Shuji, if every item/asset ever produced ever in SWC had a GPS in it, then the GPS item would be a little redundant and completely pointless, would it not? 

Touche.

This user is currently in the process of moving, and so is semi-inactive.
I am generally happy to elaborate on an answer if it lacked detail or was in some other way unclear. But I do need to know that more information/rewording is necessary.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Page 1 2