Day

Time

00:40:26

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » No freelance miners allowed?
Year 12 Day 168 21:55
If I'm reading the rules right, a freelancer can own any production facility (factory, shipyard, etc.) and have the appropriate faction type manage the facility to allow production.

But mines must be owned by a faction to allow material extraction? Is this correct? If so, why aren't freelancers allowed to mine if they area allowed to produce?

Light speed is too slow! We're going to have to go right to...Ludicrous speed.

Amp Thane, Captain, BFF-1 class freighter EQUUS
Year 12 Day 169 1:38
Freelancers can't produce either.

For Production they need to be managed by a production faction of the correct type, and the freelancer would need to join the production faction to start production.

The game is built around a dynamic of faction interaction, it's not designed with freelancing in mind.

000607_Osten.png

Year 12 Day 169 1:46
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

He's talking about ownership. A freelancer can own a factory and assign it, a freelancer can't own a mine and assign it.

As for a reason, because they were coded that way. I doubt there's a deeper reason for the disparity.

Year 12 Day 169 1:52
Really? As far as I am aware you can own a mine and have a mining faction assigned and an operator that is part of that faction. That operator would then have to start up mines etc, but should work perfectly fine much like production etc. I know we've had some mines that way.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 12 Day 169 1:55
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

You need some more awareness. Only factions, of any type, can run own mines and have them operate properly.

Year 12 Day 170 20:28
From the rules:

To extract the materials you must satisfy these conditions:

*The owner of the Mine must be a faction. 

This seemed inconsistent with the production rules, which is why I asked if the rules were correct. But now Ellias says that he knows of individuals that are able to run their mines without turning them over to a faction?

Year 12 Day 170 21:53
An acquaintance of mine just assigned all his mines to my faction presumably so he could operate them privately. He seems to know what he's doing and if it's the case that it works, I will find out and let you know Amp.

Year 12 Day 170 22:45
I know for a fact that the owner does NOT need to be a faction. A close friend owns 2 mines and operates them normally using the following setup-

If the owner faction is not a Mining faction then the Manager must be a Mining faction and the Operator a member of that faction.
The NPCs used in Mining must be owned by the owner or operator of the mine.

- 9/ Getting your Raw Materials (Extraction)

Despite him not being a faction, the process works like he is. Bug or intentional?

Year 12 Day 170 23:44
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

If they repeat normally, bug or outdated rules page.

Year 12 Day 172 12:24
Looks like there is an update to the dev rules page to remove the faction ownership requirement:
http://dev.swcombine.net/rules/?Mining#Getting_your_Raw_Materials_%28Extraction%29

Light speed is too slow! We're going to have to go right to...Ludicrous speed.

Amp Thane, Captain, BFF-1 class freighter EQUUS
Year 12 Day 178 20:14
Darian Dash

As long as the manager is the mining faction and the operator belongs/sits with the faction then the mine can be owned by the operator.
The cost of extraction gets deducted from the owners creds and repeat does work.

Year 12 Day 179 7:38
Hope it's not a bug, because I personally own several mines that run weekly without a hitch. They are, of course, assigned to a mining faction and operator is a member of that faction.

brerrabbit-1.png