Day

Time

03:33:38

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Page 1 2 3
Year 12 Day 349 23:52
Shuji Shizuka

...Which is where the suggestion that i'm asking about comes in. It seems quite logical than an NPC, being(hopefully) an intelligent being, could report it's location in some fashion, represented by allowing it to be seen on the map.

This user is currently in the process of moving, and so is semi-inactive.
Year 12 Day 350 1:31
It can't show you on the map if it doesn't know where the entity is.

If it's in your ship (/other entity), it gives the full location and you can see it on the map. If it's on the ground, you can see the full location and see it on the map. If it's in someone else's ship (/entity), then you get the room and the name of the entity, and using the map, or other loopholes, to find it is an abuse.

This is the same as items.

What is so hard to understand about that??

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 12 Day 350 3:15
What is so hard to understand, that someone is wanting a way for that to not be an abuse?

Year 12 Day 350 9:59
Shuji Shizuka

^^^^^

What Tiali said. I'm not asking that they have more information, i'm asking if using the information that they have now is acceptable, or is it against the golden rule, as it is with items.

Year 12 Day 350 10:19
If it's in your ship, it gives the full location and you can see it on the map. 

It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Hal, if I follow you're logic, you're saying any NPC broadcasting info about locations in space -- on entities other than ones you own -- would be a way to track another PC or their entities, which is not allowed, to which I understand.

Shuji, you're suggesting NPCs that you own should be able to tell you their location. But they can, as Hal just outlined above., as long as they are on entities you won, or are on the ground somewhere.

Are you asking for NPCs to be able to communicate the same info, but on entities owned by someone else?

Just looking for some clarity.

KM

Year 12 Day 350 10:36
This isn't a suggestions forum, you've gotten your answer that it's against the rules and why. NPCs reporting the location of entities you don't own will have to wait for the proper implementation of items.

Year 12 Day 350 12:14
Shuji Shizuka

But the rules are flawed. An npc is not an item, it's a sentient bieng, perfectly capable of picking up a cmmlink and calling you.

Year 12 Day 350 12:41
If they're equipped with a commlink. Which was my point.

I should be perfectly capable of shooting your ship out of the sky with these giant turbolasers, but I recognize that they're simply not implemented yet so I'm not crying about it.

Year 12 Day 350 13:15
Shuji Shizuka

Why is it that any time someone presents a flaw in something, it's "crying"?

Also, everyone is assumed to have a commlink. It's not an item in the database, and DM's are supposed to take that place. It even says so in the rules, which I will go and look up shortly.

Try again.

Year 12 Day 350 14:30
But Shuji, it's not a "flaw." It's an intentionally designed game limitation. Just like Mikle pointed out: all these weapons, and no one gets hurt? Please!

There are plenty of design limitations. For example, being able to communicate when in hyperspace. Or building an entire city within, what, a matter of days?

This game is a simulation, one that takes some liberties, and one that implements certain restrictions for the game's sake. I may not agree with some of them, but I have to accept them.

There are indeed suggestion areas. I'd write up your best reasons and send them there.

KM

"When all is said and done, there's nothing left to say or do."

-- Darryl Dawkins
Year 12 Day 350 14:39
Shuji Shizuka

I understand that. I even agree with some of the points. But it's no wonder that development is slow if we really use logic like "One aspect is flawed, so it's okay for them all to be messed up."

Year 12 Day 350 16:06
Akela Galney

Also, everyone is assumed to have a commlink. It's not an item in the database, and DM's are supposed to take that place. It even says so in the rules, which I will go and look up shortly.

- Shuji

At any time, a player may send personal messages to other players. These personal messages can be compared to ComLink communications, Holonet transmissions, SMS or email or even direct face-to-face communication. The personal messages system is meant to allow the players to communicate with each other.

- Communication Rules

Darkness messages can still be sent to arrested characters since they are used for out of character messages as well.

- When Arrested Rules

NPC's cannot be assumed to have Comlinks based purely upon the fact that the rules say they can be thought of as Comlink, Holonet Transmissions, etc. DM's also serve an OOC function as well, which NPC's clearly have no use for.

Edited By: Akela Galney on Year 12 Day 350 16:08
Year 12 Day 350 17:24
In other words:

Try again.

Year 12 Day 350 17:29
Shuji Shizuka

it can also be used for IC communications, and often is. Just because something has an OOC use as well dosen't invalidate the IC use of it.

Try again.

Year 12 Day 350 17:40
Shuji, even if we take it that they do have comlinks, comlinks are generally thought to be fairly short ranged unless boosted by using a ships transmitter. Which if they are on entities you do not have access to, presumably they will not be able to use. Hence they cannot broadcast their position.

Plus you are forgetting one thing - how the heck are the NPCs supposed to know where they are in the first place to tell you? If a PC cannot determine where they are, how can a lowly NPC do so to tell you?

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 12 Day 350 17:42
Shuji Shizuka

Why would a PC not be able to tell where they are?

Year 12 Day 350 17:53
Akela Galney

Because PC's aboard ships that are not piloting cannot see the coordinates of the entity they currently are riding on. There is no IC way to determine where you are without either being the pilot or asking the pilot where you are located.

Edited By: Akela Galney on Year 12 Day 350 17:54
Year 12 Day 350 18:13
But Shuji, you need to let go of this concept of "flawed." There is no flaw: it's not like the brakes failing on the Corvair because they were designed incorrectly (am I dating myself enough?).

The decision was made some time in the past to intentionally limit the ability for NPCs to be "tracked," as it were, just like items were designed to relay only certain info back. That may be a decision you disagree with -- as do, apparently, a number of other posters -- but it's not a mistake, or an error, or a piece of code that's not working as intended.

The inability of NPCs to broadcast their location is working exactly as intended. As are the damage-less weapons (which, I'll wager, many players will wish were like that again, once PvP is actually implemented).

And as you must be quite aware by now, Hal is not taking suggestions, at the moment, in the "I Wanna Sell My Best Friend a Loaded NPC" challenge.

When that competition is opened, I'm sure Hall will let you know, just as fast as his Gand hands can. (:^D)

Try saying that five times real fast!

"When all is said and done, there's nothing left to say or do."

-- Darryl Dawkins
Year 12 Day 350 19:39
"Hi, this is Huke Solywalker, I'm aboard a YV-666 named 'Hahaha, I have Shuji's NPC trapped!' and I'm standing in the cockpit. I have absolutely no idea where the ship is."

This is the current situation. This is the same information that a PC gets. This makes perfect sense, and is not flawed.

What is so hard about comprehending this information?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 12 Day 350 19:45
Daddy issues.

Page 1 2 3