Time

06:01:30

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » banned from general forum
Page 1 2
Year 13 Day 11 15:45
sooo. 1st off let me state that me and hal never really got off on the right foot... and ive never been one to mince my words, so whenever he has done something i felt was pompus or overly sarcastic etc etc, ive sent him a dm telling my feelings on the subject...key words here, a dm not post on the forum itself , this has happened recently and after i actually gave a thumbs up cuz he was actually nice (also on a dm) about something, i get banned from the thread!, how can this be legit?... ive broken no forum rules here, with him being an admin he has to expect critique from time to time, just seems like an abuse of power here

Photobucket
Year 13 Day 11 17:09
Shuji Shizuka

1. Hal's not an admin, he's a forum moderator.
2.You were banned from a forum, or a thread? I wasn't aware one could be banned from a thread.
3. (this one will get a laugh from some people who know me) We all have bad days sometimes. Perhaps what was said was just at the wrong time? Have you tried DM'ing him politley since the banning? I've personally found, having been banned from forums myself several times, that simply sending a nice DM and trying to resolve the situation without angry words(hard at times, I know) then you'll find yourself unbanned rather quickly.

Edited By: Shuji Shizuka on Year 13 Day 11 17:11

This user is currently in the process of moving, and so is semi-inactive.
Year 13 Day 11 17:18
banned from gerneal forums altogether, how can this be legit thou, i dm'ed him my opionion, critique, etc etc on a dm NOT on the forum, what forum rules have i broken here?, can anyone answer me this????

Photobucket
Year 13 Day 11 17:26
Shuji Shizuka

It was probably in what you said. Whas was it and were was it? As in, what thread?

Year 13 Day 11 18:18
it wasnt in a thread, it was a dm...thats what im saying, there should be no reason for the ban, it wasnt in the forums at all it was dm, so there are no forum rules broken!!!!

Photobucket
Year 13 Day 11 19:30
thats odd

Hunters have this pattern of becoming hunted.
Year 13 Day 12 1:01
Wait, you got banned for saying something nice about him?

Year 13 Day 12 2:39
You described trolling me over my moderation as "fun". You then continued to do so. I considered this inappropriate use of your forum privileges - given that your messages were relevant to my actions in the General Talk forum - so I revoked them.

I do not devote my personal time to the game for your amusement. The ban will be reviewed, and probably lifted, at some point in the future, to see if you can be more responsible with your forum privileges at that time.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 13 Day 12 3:04
Vito Royan

I have no issues with Hal, well never really knew him. But it isn't fair for you to ban him just because you guys were never on the same page . If I read this right, Goto did the mature thing and took it to DM's. But Goto, its stupid to start things with Mods period, you never win trust me man. I have been banned from various sites/forums because the mods didn't like me and I didn't do a damn thing wrong. Get someone other than Hal to review the ban, review statements from both sides and then decide whether you wish to lift it or not. [Wouldn't make sense for Hal to be the one doing it, I am sure you can understand]

royan1-1.png

Year 13 Day 12 13:39
i was being sarcastic in saying it was "fun" because you called me a troller.... as a mod you have exspect critique thats part of the job, and yes i did get more blunt with my comments to you, becuase you getting ruder to me.... you want respect...earn it...dont demand it....and ill state the umpteen hundredth time... IVE BROKEN NO FORUM RULES IN SENDING YOU MESSAGES IN DM

Photobucket
Year 13 Day 12 13:42
and let me just add on a personal note that if my ban isnt lifted by the time my respawn counter is done then to hell with this game, i just wont play any more...which is prolly what hal wants anyway...one less person stating opionons he doesnt agree with

Photobucket
Year 13 Day 12 13:49
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

Yes, whatever will we do without your wonderful forum contribution. I can still remember the joy at discovering your beautifully named "momma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun..." thread. And who can forget such classics as "TOASTY!!!", "grudge matches", and "cp ships".

Please don't quit, your contribution to the game is highly valued.

Year 13 Day 12 17:38
Deleted Post
Deleted by Jesfa. Reason: The maturity shown here is astounding. If you're so prone to pettiness, feel free to leave.
Year 13 Day 12 19:01
However will we survive without such a mature, responsible attitude?

Forum bans are not subject to review on attempted blackmail.

I refuse to be subjected to harassment from my moderation. As long as you persist in such, you will be excluded from that forum - and any other forum you extend your activities to.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 13 Day 14 1:09
Gort Horth

. . .with him being an admin he has to expect critique from time to time. . . 

Well no, he doesn't have to ever expect critique. There are plenty of forums that perma-ban participants for their very first critique of the mods, but in those forums the mods do not participate in discussions. It's a role confusion issue that Hal is both contributor to the forum, and moderator thereof.

I will note at this juncture that this forum has the most odd rules of any forum I've ever participated in. I have participated in dozens of forums from gaming to advanced physics and engineering forums for more than 20 years, and NEVER have I seen a forum where there is a host of rules about what you can't post on. The fact this is such a very LONG list is pretty childish and petty, and the fact you can get banned for unintentionally violating this very lengthy list on the FIRST occasion (which happened to me) despite this is in violation of the stated rules for bans, is evidence of a broken system.

Nothing against Hal. I should note that despite i was banned for 3 days for my first rules violation, I was then not banned for my second, which was also unintentional. These are all evidence of a broken system. Hal makes his own rules because, well, thats the way things work here. The fix, is to have some accountability as a moderator. Trouble is, that would take some volunteers, and isn't that the number one problem plaguing SWC, lack of volunteers helping out?

Year 13 Day 14 1:43
All the mods are volunteers...

I think what you are trying to say is that there is little co-ordination between mods, so one mod may catch you one day, and a different one another day, and as they are different people will have slightly different opinions on the harshness of the penalty. Plus people have bad days when they give worse penalties because they are feeling rotten.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 13 Day 14 2:45
Gort Horth

No, I'm saying just what I was trying to say--there's no accountability. Hal is basically free to do whatever he likes, even when that includes bans for reasons that are not in the rules. If bans were subject to verification, then Hal would not be able to ban people for contents of DM',s just as he would not for first time content violations.

However, accountability requires a chain of command where each transgression is going through Hal to a supervisor, and this is not happening, hence--no accountability. You can't have that sort of labor-intense system when you can't even get people to fix the thousands of errors in the posted rules.

My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.
Year 13 Day 14 6:39
Mods are removed if they are found to be abusive, and mods can be reported to the admins at any time. But people are not given moderation of forums if they are found to be abusive or unfair. So technically, there is accountability, as the admins can remove mods at any time -- but this is a very rare occurrence because the affected players tend to have a very subjective view of the situation, whereas the mod tends to be striving to be impartial.

For example, the forum rules: "NEVER have I seen a forum where there is a host of rules about what you can't post on"

In the Suggestions forum these exist because this is a forum for a game, and there are certain features that simply will not be implemented and are not yet up for discussion. Those are banned because there have been far too many discussions opened over them, which leads to hostility and forum drama and the perspective that "the devs don't really care what we have to say anyway." This attempts to eliminate that by clearly stating "this idea will not be implemented or changed at this time so don't waste your time and ours by posting about it." Topics are eventually removed from the ban list as they become subject to consideration. Some are never removed. That is up to the game developers to decide - NOT up to Hal or forum mods, as they do not have any control over feature development.

In the General forum, the list is rather short (which is why I assume you were talking about the Suggestions forums), and the only banned topics are those which seem to never have had a discussion on the topic that has not spiraled into flaming and trolling. That's a fairly common method of handling forum content preventatively; if you haven't ever encountered a forum before that bans a couple of flamebait topics, you're not looking hard enough. :p

And lastly, Hal does not really make his own rules. The forums are all expected to meet certain guidelines (PG-13, lack of flaming, etc) -- different forums take slightly different approaches because they all have different functions (trading forums, general chat forums, problem forums, game-related discussion forums).

Edited By: Syn on Year 13 Day 14 6:40

swcforumsig

Year 13 Day 14 10:27
Shuji Shizuka

Not disagreeing or agreeing with anyone here, Hal generally is rather fair, unless it's a bad day, which we all have, but, just throwing this out there...

Another mod or two?

Hal deals with, at a glance, 75 or 80% of the forums. Foe ones as active as ours, that's got to be quite a strain. Why not add another mod or two to spread the workload out a bit?

Year 13 Day 14 12:18
Shuji for Forum Mod :D

Year 13 Day 14 12:44
It's up to Hal if he feels he can't handle the workload. If he can, no sense in ending up with too many hands in the pot.

swcforumsig

Page 1 2