Day

Time

15:13:18

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Question on Gravity Wells
Year 13 Day 74 4:01
I'm trying to understand gravity wells in the context of the star wars universe and how they work...or rather what they do in canon. Yes I know it stops you entering hyper in darkness, I don't need that explaining.

My question is though is it supposed to just stop you entering Hyperspace or was a gravity well a potential threat during Hyperspace? Some large gravitational mass perhaps pulling vessels out of hyper which passed near its range of effect? I cant recall if I read somewhere that they can do that, pulling a vessel out of a jump.

Anyone with pointers to reference materials?

You are entering the vicinity of an area adjacent to a location. The kind of place where there might be a monster, or some kind of weird mirror. These are just examples; it could also be something much better. Prepare to enter: The Scary Door.
Year 13 Day 74 4:05
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperspace#Hazards

Year 13 Day 74 6:05
The low down is,
When a hyper course is plotted in Cannon, it is plotted so as to avoid all gravitational masses. NOT because they can pull a ship out of hyperspace, but because they signify a planet or something that you can run into. Now, if a ship were to hit the edge of a gravitational field, it's completely possible to miss the planet entirely, but the hyperdrive failsafes would activate, and bring the ship out of hyper.

There are ways around such thing, but they are dangerous. Messing with the failsafes can allow you to skirt closer to gravitational masses while in hyper without being pulled out, but then you are much more likely to run into a planet. Or a black hole. Also, something which was read about in the Corellian trilogy, the Bakurans invented a hyperdrive which would be able to practically negate most interdiction fields, which opperate on the fact that they cast a gravity well around them, simulating a planet, which, when a ship in hyperspace encounters it, activates their failsafes and pulls them out of hyper and into the hands of the interdictor...but I digress.

The bakuran's hyperdrive allowed a ship which was forcibly removed from hyper to 'coast' along on the momentum that they had built up, but had the side effect of ruining their hyperdrive, I believe. So, practically useless.

Anyways, that's just some information which I'm sure you could have read in that link...but I like feeling useful around here.

How many blasters would a blaster blast if a blaster could blast blasters?
Year 13 Day 74 13:05
It's more of a game dynamic than anything. As Dunta said, really they just signal proximity to a mass object. Technically, if you have super-exact coordinates, you could hyper into a planet's atmosphere 20 feet off the ground.

Year 13 Day 75 3:52
So essentially then gravity wells are more the warning zone, the hazard strips on the floor denoting you're getting close to hitting something?

You are entering the vicinity of an area adjacent to a location. The kind of place where there might be a monster, or some kind of weird mirror. These are just examples; it could also be something much better. Prepare to enter: The Scary Door.