151 are online

Year

Day

Time

02:02:53

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Are Capital Ships able to enter the atmosphere of planets?
Page 1 2
I was wondering about this, ever since the question about Capital ship vehicle storage. Although I know that Capital ships can't land on planets, I wonder if it's possible for a capital ship to simply go down into the upper atmosphere to pick up a flying vehicle, or if a separate transport needs to be sent down to pick it up instead. Thanks.

As was stated in that very thread.

Also, not sure where people are getting the whole pick up flying vehicles - no vehicles can enter orbit, only atmosphere at the highest (on their own power). Ships that can reach the atmo level, can also reach the ground which makes it completely irrelevant - ships can either go everywhere, or cannot enter a planet at all, ground or atmo layers.

- Ellias Aubec

Many capital ships can land on planets. Those that can, obviously, can also simply stay in the atmosphere. Those that cannot land also cannot enter the atmosphere.

Alright, thanks.

Not sure why a ship that can't land can't still enter atmosphere

Code reasons.

Ellias_sig6.png
Not to mention that being in the atmosphere subjects the ship to the planet's gravity. The larger capital ships can't make a controlled entry into atmosphere, let alone escape the gravity to return to orbit.

Edited By: Elijah Shoryyhn on Year 13 Day 106 5:47
Thank you Elijah

Kendall Holm

Yeah but Elijah there is some caps that are like that in SW ... like certain Star Destroyers can actually go into the atmosphere but can land. I do believe it is more what Ellias Said ... code reasons

SWC3dsUser.png
When I was looking at stats for ships, I did initially give the ISD (or whichever one it was) Flight Grade Repulsor lifts, but no Landing Capacity. Then Sin, or one of the other coders told me that it makes no difference: they either can land on a planet or not.

Ellias_sig6.png
It could be done, but it would indeed be a change to the code. Not that difficult I don't think though, if it turned out that a lot of people wanted it.

The Victory-class in one such example Kendall, but that ship could also land. Check it out on wookieepedia and also look up the Ghorman Massacre.

Kendall Holm

ISDs can too ... George Lucases fitst book has the ISD dropping down into the atmosphere to attack the Tantive ... Luke and Wedge both sitting in anchor head were looking up at he sky watching the fight

Edited By: Kendall Holm on Year 13 Day 106 11:40

SWC3dsUser.png
Indeed, and it seems wookieepedia mentions the Imperial-class being able to enter atmosphere and support ground combat directly. That's the first I've heard of it, I thought only the Victory-class was able to do so.

VSD can land, ISD can only stay in the atmosphere - from what I read.

Ellias_sig6.png
Jesfa

For gameplay reasons, nothing bigger than a corvette should ever be able to land.

LoraxSig3copy.png
Dan Hakim

What about the MonCal CP ship?
That's pretty big but you have to be on the ground to spawn one.

DukhaBanrHRZNTL_zps08e5f7a7.png
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

In theory? They could simply remove large CP ships or expand CP ship spawning to trade stations.

Dan, it doesn't have weapons, which is what Jesfa is referring to.

Ellias_sig6.png
Jesfa

In general the CP ships shouldn't have them either, but as the Mon Cal is just a luxury liner, I don't mind it landing too much. Things like the Tartan/Belarus/Namana are a tad too big, but what I could see happening is them losing their landing capacity when they're R&Dable, and the old ships keep landing, or something. That, or they're the cut-off ish point.

It's a terrible idea for things like destroyers to be able to land however.

LoraxSig3copy.png
Page 1 2