271 are online

Year

Day

Time

11:42:41

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 13 Day 191 3:38
I'd like to know when a character just started researching, can he move around and do something else or is he stuck at the research station for a month?

Year 13 Day 191 7:39
Chancy Mandu

Well the rules are still draft rules so nothing is set in stone yet.

I presume it will be like when you start a ship, r&d workers/ scientists will do all the work, and you yourself will be free to move around.

At least I hope that will be the case, i dont think too many would be happy being stuck in the lab for a month.

Year 13 Day 191 8:16
^

Highly likely that it will be a fire and forget type method like pretty much all the long term functions (mining, production, construction, recycling etc). However, considering only Zhao really knows whats going on with it, we can only wait and see.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 13 Day 227 2:45
I have a serious questions as it really does concern the initial creation of my character.
Since the R&D refund and the recent changes to the Rules concerning character skills I went to the part of the rules concerning Research.
The premise of my character was that of a droid researcher but when reading through the new R&D skills and the Research rules there is no mention of droids at all.
There is mention of ships, vehicles and facilities but not droids. Computer Operations is unchanged and is still a skill chiefly for surveying. Repair does not mention droids.
This really does concern me since my character was initially created to be an R&D Scientist first and Space secondary.
Maybe if someone could explain to me how or where droids fit within the new R&D skills and Research rules.

riikah_mohrgyn_sig.png
riikah_mohrgyn_com.png
A new toy. Can I play with it? I promise I will not break it, maybe just tweak it a little.
Year 13 Day 227 2:51
Last I heard from Zhao, R&D would be points based. Ie you do research and get Hull or Weapons etc points depending on what you were doing. Each new DC would require a certain number of points from varying categories, so a protocol Droid might need some hull and electronics, but no weapons or engine points.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 13 Day 227 11:51
I understand that it may not be the place to suggest this but wouldn't Computer Operations have more to do with Droids than Electronics since the use of that R&D Skill in the rules has been more defined with Avionics than with Droids.
If someone were interested in robotics they would learn computers as it allows for being taught to program AIs.
Since Research is being or has been revised it would make more sense.
I think that may be the reason as to why I'm having difficulty with understanding how the revised Research rules and R&D Skills seem more geared towards Ships, Vehicles, Facilities and Weapons.
You may or may not agree with me that R&D Skills and Research as regard to Droid
Research & Development and manufacturing facilities may have missed consideration.
The way that all is being revised, factions that are in the business of droid manufacture may get the short end of the stick.
Also noticed the removal of R&D - Items. Where in the current R&D Skills do items now exist or even in the Research rules.
Repair is also defined as a skill for fixing ships and vehicles.

Just voicing my concern.

riikah_mohrgyn_sig.png
riikah_mohrgyn_com.png
A new toy. Can I play with it? I promise I will not break it, maybe just tweak it a little.
Year 13 Day 227 16:47
Well the rules are still draft rules so nothing is set in stone yet. 

When actual implementation begins to take place, the Suggestions forum will eagerly await player feedback. At the moment everything remains largely hypothetical in nature, and as has been hinted at, a character skill revision is still upcoming, which shall clarify the intended functions of all of the skills a bit more thoroughly.

swcforumsig

Year 13 Day 227 19:37
I suspect that the stats of the entities being researched will determine the points required, so if there are no hyper/sublight/etc speed reqs, then no R&D Engine points will be required.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 13 Day 228 12:01
FOr droids, R&D hull & electronics would be the most likely candidates, with weapons for the combat droids. Anything in SWC can really separated into the 4 parts that R&D covers: A shell, the electronic components, engines to move it, and weapons for defense. It will cover all the entity types equally.

Year 13 Day 230 23:11
thank you for the better clarification concerning R&D skills

riikah_mohrgyn_sig.png
riikah_mohrgyn_com.png