Year

Day

Time

19:12:30

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Exploration and Cities on non-controled planets
I noticed that there are a few sectors that do not have any official governmental controls. Most of these have no listed systems. I am not sure if there are definitely no systems or if none have just been discovered in them yet. I have just bought my first shiny new ship an am considering doing an exploration in one of the sectors.

I do not know the risks of exploration or if there is any chance of finding anything but on the wild and crazy chance that I get lucky and find a undiscovered and uncontrolled planet, would it be possible to build a city on it? Every source I have seen says that you need the permission of the planets owner but there has to be some rule about a planet with no owner.

Listen to those engines purr.
Kendall Holm

If there is no owner there is no build permissions: By your logic factions wouldnt even be able to build on uncontrolled planets and thusly no one would have any planets. ;P

Edited By: Kendall Holm on Year 15 Day 11 8:22

SWC3dsUser.png
If you find a planet, you can build whatever you want on it. But you only have a week of freedom, as any nearby landholder will very likely quickly send a building team to take control of the planet. There are ways to prevent this, but they can become expensive.

Thank you Jevon. I was hoping that it would be something like that. Did you read that anywhere or just know it from practical experience? If it is explained in another thread, do you think you could find it again and link it? I would like to see if it says anything else I should know before I try it.

Actually Kendall, I was pretty sure that was not the case but could not find it explained any better in the guide or previous questions. This is why I asked here. I considered the possibility that only a member of an official government faction could claim a non-claimed system as one of the governmental faction perks. I am glad that an explorer has at least a week to set up some sort of holding first.

Listen to those engines purr.
If you happen upon a hidden system, with uncontrolled planets, as stated above you then have 1 week before it is revealed to the rest of the galaxy - this should be in the rules somewhere.

As for controlling it, you can build a city when no-one owns it without permission, so go nuts placing cities. However there is a set population limit needed for a faction to count as controlling it (again in the rules). A player cannot control a planet in this fashion so you'd have to build, finish, and makeover flats to a faction you trust to control it for you. The other options are either to lay cities down on all the available slots on the planet preventing anyone else from putting down a city. However that is costly and makes it look ugly. The only other option is to build shield generators and power them up to prevent others from getting down, however that is also expensive and will probably take longer than a week to get their construction finished.

Ellias_sig6.png
Ben Camden

As far as I am aware, none of the rules regarding exploration are actually in the rules. They have to be gathered from various sim news and admin answers on the forums >_<

And shield generators will always take more than 7 days to set up.

gold1.gifRGC-3.pnggold2.gif
Senior Governor Ben Camden
Regional Government
The two major options are this:

Land on planet, build a few cities full of cheap Population buildings and enough to power them. Hope they complete fast.

Or

Completely slab the planet, build Shield Generators, wait for the rest of the cities to decay.

Either method works, but the second gets expensive fast depending on size.

Jesfa

Ben, if you could do me a favor and make a ticket marked for Jesfa, stating what is missing on the rules regarding exploration I'll take a crack at updating the rules next week once I'm done with classes.

LoraxSig3copy.png
Ben Camden

It is done Jesfa. I couldn't actually mark it for you, but I made a general ticket with the title "Exploration ticket for Jesfa".

gold1.gifRGC-3.pnggold2.gif
Senior Governor Ben Camden
Regional Government