Day

Time

22:57:25

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 15 Day 18 16:20
Khorde Devarian

Hey,

So I'm not sure if this has been addressed in another thread but a quick search yielded no results. I just wanted to ask why we cannot put accents into the names of ships? It seems to work fine for me, until you refresh the page and it jumbles the characters up.

Having worked with the GNS, I am aware of the character errors and as far as I know they are unavoidable. However, I just wanted to know if there was a reason behind it and if there is a way around it? Teniel seemed to be able to get the accents to stay on the Gráinne Ní Mháille, although that could be from an older version of the Combine. Am I right?

Thank you in advance.

jed5.png
Year 15 Day 18 17:19
I believe it is just the character set SWC uses doesn't accept them. It could (as a related effect) be because you are using those special characters from Word or similar program which uses a slightly different character set. This is the reason when people copy/paste GNSes from Word to the GNS poster all their commas and full stops etc get bugged out.

You could look to see if there is a special character option in Notepad as that should work ok if there are any there.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 15 Day 19 0:08
Khorde Devarian

Alright, I'll try that. Thanks :)

jed5.png
Year 15 Day 19 7:58
Varlathotep Al`Jormungandr Ragnvaldansson

Try the character map tool in Windows, but I do believe the issue is in the Database. The code to change an entity's name would be client side, which is why they appear fine until you refresh. Once the data hits the database, it likely gets converted from one encoding to another (probably goes from UTF to ASCII, since it appears to split special characters into 2 separate characters).

Edited By: Varlathotep Al`Jormungandr Ragnvaldansson on Year 15 Day 19 8:54

That's got to smarts.
Year 15 Day 19 10:19
Khorde Devarian

Unfortunately the character map doesn't work. It's interesting because the accents appear properly in events, just not in the actual inventory screen. I'll have to do without them. Still, I have seen ship names with accents before and wonder how they managed to get it to work properly...

Thanks for your help.

jed5.png
Year 15 Day 19 11:53

http://www.asciitable.com/

There are a few accented characters in the extended ASCII table. Those are most likely the accented characters you've seen. So, some accented characters are probably supported on the database end, but the issue could be going from UTF encoding to ASCII encoding. If I remember right, only the first 127 characters of the ASCII table match the UTF table, meaning anything after that might not line up exactly and is why they get changed to random characters once entered into the database. The ships that you've seen that have accents most likely are very old or required some trickery to get the ASCII accented character in there.

That's got to smarts.
Year 15 Day 19 17:40
Hence why I suggested to try and copy directly from such tables/character sets to avoid the conversion issues - that might work.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 15 Day 19 19:29
Cassan Di`Thynite

In my experience, the accents wouldn't appear correctly in the inventory but when viewed 'in person' the accents were correct. I used the standard Windows Character Map for it, it just looks ugly in the inventory. I also recall seeing the Gráinne Ní Mháille in Eidola's inventory at some point with the same issue.

tumblr_lovv7pCn581qizu52o1_500.gif
Year 15 Day 20 0:01
5Qqbx.png

swcforumsig

Year 15 Day 20 0:54
Khorde Devarian

Thanks for the advice. Ellias, I did use the Windows Character Map, but it still doesn't work in the inventory. I've tried using different accented characters like á, ú and í but they don't seem to be supported.

Thanks anyway.

jed5.png
Year 15 Day 20 4:12
FYI: Umlaute (ä, ö, ü) don't work properly either :(

Year 15 Day 20 4:21
Cassan Di`Thynite

As I was saying, as far as I know no accented characters display correctly in the inventory, but when scanned or otherwise viewed from the cockpit the name should display correctly.

tumblr_lovv7pCn581qizu52o1_500.gif
Year 15 Day 20 7:07

Ellias, my point was that the characters after 127 in ASCII aren't standard. As well, they don't mesh with Unicode characters after that point, which is what gives the crazy characters. Also, if it gets sent in as unicode, then the character can be multi byte, which is what causes multiple characters to appear from a singular character.

Cassan, it's very possible that it's an issue with the encoding on the inventory screen, which is why on scanners and the likes the special characters do appear, while on the inventory it doesn't. If that's the case, it most likely would be a pretty easy fix.

That's got to smarts.
Year 15 Day 20 9:52
Khorde Devarian

My question is, do the characters work properly in the Location section of the side bar?

jed5.png
Year 15 Day 20 11:13

According to Cassan they work on the scanning screen, which in my mind means that they're stored properly in the database. It's just the encoding they're sent to the user with on the other screens is incorrect, OR Javascript is butchering the characters for one reason or another.

That's got to smarts.
Year 15 Day 20 11:15
Khorde Devarian

Alright, thanks. The name shows up properly in events and in the location of docked items, just not in the ship inventory.

jed5.png