Day

Time

10:12:11

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Mirc is too slow with following my typing
mIRC is slow in following my typing.
I type and it takesd some time before mirc has added all the letters i typed before i can send it.

I was told to check my CPU usage, but its not using that much.
I tried to google, but help about mirc or WIndows 8 is not really effective lol.

FOr the rest the typing works fine, just not for Mirc.
I have Windows 8.

OUNzz3U.png
ZE-believer.jpg
Ka`rla Leakey

Perhaps MIRC is having difficulty sending commands directly over the net, so maybe try a different irc program which only sends the finished comment and not per character.

Other than that do other programs run slowly on the computer suggesting it is a non-mIRC related issue?

Are you using a tablet or something? On touch screen devices the problem is generally with the keyboard app. On a computer it does sound like too many resources being used; does it work more smoothly immediately after a reboot? Run an anti-malware and anti-virus scan to be safe. Since SwiftKey autocorrected anti-virus to anti-aircraft, I'd run one of those too.

swcforumsig

My laptop is a notebook. Half laptop, half tablet. I only use the keyboard and not the touchscreen. Sometimes it happens that i can't type at all on irc or on my browser. Its solved after restarting.
My anti virus scan didn't show anything. Not sure if there is a anti-malware scanner on a antivirus?

OUNzz3U.png
ZE-believer.jpg
There is not much with which we can help from here. It pretty much sounds like you need cleaning, be it viruses, addons or just regular crap.
When a computer problem exceeds my skills i just make tuna pie and invite someone who knows how to do it! So there you have an idea which may render better results and faster than trying to clean -or reinstall- it yourself if you don't know how to do it.

Ka`rla Leakey

This is true. A PC will slow due to the PC getting physically dirty inside so it throttles back to prevent itself overheating but a good can of Oxygen tends to put this one right.

The other cause is rubbish you put on the computer which consumes resources in the background, such as photo import software, multiple security softwares and various stuff which is supposed to make your comp look pretty. The choice of anti-virus can also have an impact as some are compact with a minimal footprint and others seem to think they own your PC (AVG looking at you here). Sometimes just removing and reinstalling the same package from a fresh download can speed it up again though. They all use resources which ultimately slow everything down. Of course having no space on your hard drive doesn't help as your page files get all fragmented and that slows it all down.

Not even going to mention windows updates as a cause of slowdown but sometimes they do not help due to downloading the Malicious Software Removal tool and getting it to run, but fortunately this is only first Wednesday of the month I believe.

Malware and viruses are a really big cause of slowdown but programs like super-anti-spyware and MalwareBytes as an example can sort out lots of issues here.

With regular crap i didn't mean physical dirt inside but useless, legally installed, applications.
The behavior described by Neria doesn't look like the one of an overheated computer.

Edited By: Dargah Sheikha on Year 15 Day 310 9:54
I geuss it could be AVG? After Mcaffee expired i installed AVG.
It worked fine on my previous laptop.

My laptop is only 2 months old, and i don't have that many apps installed.
Icechatt is working fine for the moment. So i'm good to go lol.

OUNzz3U.png
ZE-believer.jpg
Personally, I've found the half laptops-half tablets to be too underpowered, that it's possible that mIRC is just too much for it to handle with anything else open.

As for a malware scanner, we use Malwarebytes for scanning for Malware in my school's IT department, I'd suggest that since it's done well for me in tasks I've had requiring its use.

ted_winner_sig.png
Malwarebytes is fabulous; highly recommend.

swcforumsig

I installed Malwarebytes and did a scan, nothing was detected. I geuss its just that mIRC is too heavy for my laptop for some odd reason.

OUNzz3U.png
ZE-believer.jpg
I feel like everyone has missed the obvious answer: type slower.