Time

01:20:15

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Connecting to SWC-IRC with IRCCloud
Kyran Caelius

This is more for Syn and Sel:

I'm trying to set-up IRCCloud on my iPhone, but I've run into some walls.

This is the set-up screen:
http://i.imgur.com/e4QXmPB.png

For Network I've tried:
- SWC:
- SWC-IRC
- SWC-IRC:
- SWC:irc.swcombine.com
- SWC:irc.swc-irc.com
- irc.swcombine.com
- irc.swc-irc.com

I've tried the same list for Hostname. I've also tried putting all of the above in Hostname, and leaving Network empty. I've also tried flicking the SSL switch for all of the above combinations.

No matter what, it doesn't connect. I've had the following errors pop up:
- Failed to connect: Invalid hostname
- Failed to connect: Timed out

Halp?

Kendall Holm

We do not support IRCCloud. It wont work. We have peeps asking the same thing in help from time to time

SWC3dsUser.png
Kendall Holm

here is your response from sel
selatos> we blocked it intentionally because it is easy to use for abuse
Kendall-Serv> ah okay
selatos> unless they suddenly support cgi-irc we probably won't unblock them

SWC3dsUser.png
Kyran Caelius

That would definitely explain it. Are Linkinus or LimeChat blocked?

gif
Kendall Holm

Why not get a real client? It's going to get to get old checking every cloud application to see if we block it or not. You can ask in help. Probably be faster.

SWC3dsUser.png
Kendall Holm

Why not get a real client? It's going to get to get old checking every cloud application to see if we block it or not. You can ask in help. Probably be faster.

SWC3dsUser.png
Kyran Caelius

Okay then. Thank you.

gif
Selatos

It was blocked due to the potential for abuse--it anonymizes connections and obtaining a new UID from them is easy, making it impossible to ban users who are intent on being annoying through the service as a proxy.

I've heard that irccloud is the only iphone irc app that allows persistent connections in the background. This is because they run a proxy service and maintain the connection from their servers even when the phone disconnects, then stream your data down whenever you open it again. In classic irc language the term for this is a "bouncer" and it is relatively easy to set one up yourself, enabling you to use a different app, luckily. If you use or try Colloquy it has instructions on its website for setting up a bouncer to provide the same behavior.

"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage
Kyran Caelius

Very helpful, as usual. Thank you Sel.

gif