226 are online

Year

Day

Time

21:52:02

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 17 Day 9 21:09
Exactly how many troops make a battalion? or is there a standard number?

Archduke Skye Sarn, Lord Duke of Dunthril, 2nd of House Tanthar

V_logo.jpg

Year 17 Day 9 21:14
Venari Haliat

A battalion is a military unit. The use of the term "battalion" varies by nationality and branch of service. Typically a battalion consists of 300 to 800 soldiers and is divided into a number of companies. A battalion is typically commanded by a lieutenant colonel. In some countries the word "battalion" is associated with the infantry.

The term was first used in Italian as battaglione no later than the 16th century. It derived from the Italian word for battle, battaglia. The first use of battalion in English was in the 1580s, and the first use to mean "part of a regiment" is from 1708.

~Google.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet
Year 17 Day 9 21:16
Ethan Travis

I think my country designated a battalion to be a unit of 500 - 1500 servicemen

EthanTravis
''If gods do exist, we need to start looking for ways to kill them''
Year 17 Day 9 21:34
I mean for SWC specifically. I heard the number 198 once... but thats such an off the wall number

V_logo.jpg

Year 17 Day 9 21:45
Venari Haliat

I will just leave This here, considering how you could easily look this up within 10 seconds.

Year 17 Day 9 21:47
While i could have looked it up... your knowledge is appreciated.

V_logo.jpg

Year 17 Day 24 5:55
Argo Viridian

Venari: How does http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battalion answer the initial question(s) "Exactly how many troops make a battalion? or is there a standard number?"
That article stub says this: "A battalion was a large military unit of ground troops. Both the Confederacy of Independent Systems and the Galactic Republic deployed battalions of troops during the Clone Wars."

Year 17 Day 24 6:16
Venari Haliat

Click the large "Legends" button on the page and you will see for yourself.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet
Year 17 Day 24 6:23
we use squads right? not the B word so a squad is 12 npc or droid or lost soul or creatures.

Ever Light Transportation

#DacLive'sMatter!!!!

sig.jpg

Year 17 Day 24 9:38
Perhaps a battalion could be considered as a number of squads, equivalent to the number of individuals between those squads pertaining to the number needed to be considered a battalion?

1795879249047316029.png
Year 17 Day 24 10:37
Victor O`Cuinn

well you would think in SWC a Battalion would be 84. That is one party and 6 squads which would only be at max Infantry Command.

Victor-gif-finished.gif

victor_ocuinn_cit.png
Year 17 Day 24 15:38
You're confusing Battalions for Platoons.

A Squad is traditionally 12 people in most military games I see, this one included. A Platoon is typically four squads, around about - so somewhere in the vicinity of 50 people.

A Batallion could be anywhere from four platoons to twenty, depending entirely on its purpose and what's available at the time.

Year 17 Day 24 16:12
Victor O`Cuinn

Yes I get that, however you can not command any more then 84 NPCs at one given time. Now you could RP it. Or if you are a larger group like say the GE you might be able to pull off those kinds of numbers. However a single player can not.

As far as RL goes, a Platoon is roughly 35-40, (at least in the USMC). # platoons make up a Company and 3-4 Companies make up the Battalion.

Victor-gif-finished.gif

victor_ocuinn_cit.png
Year 17 Day 25 0:17
It's been so long since I did military RP that I was a bit fuzzy on the details, completely skipped companies altogether. Good to know that.

And yeah, 84 is the limit unless you're working with another player. A bit unfortunate, certainly, but it'd be a little ridiculous if one man started running around with about 500 NPCs on his tail, mowing down anything that glanced at them sideways.

Guess the only thing for it is to get yourself a Sergeant in that kind of situation. Kind of like you would in the real deal.

Year 17 Day 25 1:38
Victor O`Cuinn

yeah, i guess you could have a Platoon leader (PC) lead two platoons (NPCs). Have 2 PCs per company.. and so on. It would still take a few PCs to do it. But could be done in a good amount of the factions.

Victor-gif-finished.gif

victor_ocuinn_cit.png