178 are online

Year

Day

Time

00:59:04

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 17 Day 212 13:26
How much leeway do we have when doing custom artwork for stations? Do we need to use the SWC images, or images from the SW universe? Or can we create trading stations or shipyards using completely new designs?

Sierra Null Designs
Year 17 Day 212 13:51
Like any other custom, they have to accurately represent the entity they're being applied to. So, for example with the trading 2 station, the image used would also need to represent at minimum a pinwheel style station with the same number of major floors (rings). Stick to doing something similar to what's already there, especially if they already have a user provided image.

ulrike_r
No_Syn_Sig.webp
Year 17 Day 212 16:47
No offense Ulrike, but that seems a bit short-sighted. When we're talking about ships, it is obvious that you can't create a custom that looks like an entirely different ship. But there can't be only one single design in the entire galaxy for any given station type.

Let me bring up a parallel. If I wanted to do a custom image of a Porsche 911, I couldn't use an image of a Jeep Wrangler to do so. Only a 911 image can represent that particular model. This would be equivalent to a ship custom.

The parallel to a station is if I wanted to create a custom image of an electronics store. That's a more generic entity, not a specific model. So why should I have to build all of my custom images based on a picture of Best Buy when there are so many different electronics stores out there? As long as the image faithfully represents an electronic store, it should pass muster.

So back to stations. I think our galaxy would be much more interesting if artists could deviate from the stock station images and create more unique designs. To keep it from getting out of control, we would need some basic criteria to guide the design. So stating that a T2 must be a pinwheel station would be a start. Any additional guidelines the art team and others could give would help direct those that want to take on the challenge of making these images.

I realize that I've now turned this into a request for the art team to do more work, which was never my intention. I'd just like the freedom to mix things up a bit.

Year 17 Day 212 17:41
Dahn Vassic

I'd disagree slightly.

Like Ulrike said, the custom has to accurately represent the entity RE number of wheels, decks, etc.

What she's saying, (And correct me if i'm wrong), is that If the station was a food cart, it would have to be a custom representing a food cart. A Hot dog cart or a Falafel cart would be roughly the same, they'd still both be food carts. What you can't do is have a custom representing a food cart that makes it look like a Battle Tank.

I've seen some pretty distinctive stations around the galaxy that had very unique customs but still had the same general distinction as the station they were representing.

Year 17 Day 212 18:13
No offense Ulrike, but that seems a bit short-sighted. 

What's short sighted? I feel like you stopped at "Like any other custom, they have to accurately represent the entity they're being applied to". You know, the first sentence.

The parallel to a station is if I wanted to create a custom image of an electronics store. That's a more generic entity, not a specific model. So why should I have to build all of my custom images based on a picture of Best Buy when there are so many different electronics stores out there? 

This argument makes sense if I had said that the image has to match 1:1. However, I didn't say that.

So back to stations. I think our galaxy would be much more interesting if artists could deviate from the stock station images and create more unique designs. 

You can deviate from the stock station images. For example, as long as a T2 follows the floor plan and the idea of what the station is (a pinwheel station), it's very likely it'll be accepted as a custom. It also has to accurately represent the scale of the entity, as does any other custom. Things like the SY1-4s would obviously have to represent a space dock of some sort, that also follow their floor plans for the most part.

So stating that a T2 must be a pinwheel station would be a start. Any additional guidelines the art team and others could give would help direct those that want to take on the challenge of making these images. 

"for example with the trading 2 station, the image used would also need to represent at minimum a pinwheel style station with the same number of major floors (rings)" would be the specifics you need to match for a T2. It's designed to match the floor plan, thus the "same number of major floors". I think that's detail enough on what to aim for when creating your customs for a station. If you want to obscure the rings by having a large sheet or a single tapered ring, there's a good chance that would be accepted for the T2 as well. Smaller rings would very likely be allowable as well. However, completely deviating from the pinwheel design would be denied since it's designed to be a pinwheel.

Edit: Also, I apologize now in case I sound grumpy >.> I can sound very grumpsters sometimes :p

Edited By: Ulrike Rayne Schultheiss on Year 17 Day 212 19:40

ulrike_r
No_Syn_Sig.webp
Year 17 Day 212 19:43
Sierra, it is very hard to work off general questions like this. If you want something more specific, you can always send me a dm with a concept or image and ask if it is acceptable for said entity. Otherwise Ulrike's answer os fairly accurate, minus the exact same number of floors.

Stations do tend to get more leeway, since only a choice few are canon.

Year 17 Day 212 20:14
That's what I meant about "smaller" levels (like additional rings) and unifying the floors into a single ring and such, Jevon :p

ulrike_r
No_Syn_Sig.webp
Year 17 Day 213 2:03
Ichiru Hanabusa

how does the new SY4 model look anything like its floor plan?

Year 17 Day 213 4:49
Thanks for the clarification, Jevon and Ulrike. And I apologize if I seemed argumentative, Ulrike. I think I put too much weight on this:
tick to doing something similar to what's already there, especially if they already have a user provided image. 

I interpreted that as "just modify the existing image". My mistake.

Sierra Null Designs
Year 17 Day 213 5:26
I could have been a bit more clear on that one, Sierra, sorry about that :p

Irchu, simple. That middle floor is actually the place where the ship itself is. That giant empty space in the center. :p

ulrike_r
No_Syn_Sig.webp
Year 17 Day 213 6:12
Ichiru Hanabusa

in which case the ring on my non ringed T2 is the circular space around the outside?

Year 17 Day 213 6:46
What? Jevon is the lead of the art team and if he says a T2 needs to be a pinwheel (he did), it needs to be a pinwheel. If you have one that isn't a pinwheel, it's probably before the rules were strictly enforced. Congrats. The t2 is very clearly depicted as a pinwheel, not only by its public image, but by its floor plan as well.

ulrike_r
No_Syn_Sig.webp
Year 17 Day 213 10:12
Ichiru - As far as images go, especially for stations, I doubt Onasha looked at the floor plan all that much. Its more important to come up with something believable and have the floor plan match later, since so many floorplans are arbitrary.