Day

Time

17:33:13

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Atmospheric Travel TOO Slow?
Year 17 Day 341 20:21
What exactly is the motivation and/or science behind making atmospheric travel in ships take so much bloody longer than cross-terrain? I mean, cross-terrain on foot sometimes takes a shorter amount of time than traveling via the atmosphere in a full-fledged ship. Does that strike anybody as a lil wonky?

Feel free to enlighten me, but if it takes so long, what's the point of even having it? It just A). doesn't make sense why it's longer than cross-terrain, and B). seems like maybe the timers could be nerfed just a wee bit? Even as an experiment? I mean, you can always change the math back to its original state. Has it been tried before? Is there some sort of shield exploit I'm missing as to why they're so long? Is it some science-y nerdy thing about friction or some shit?

Edited By: Ploz Ibbel on Year 17 Day 341 20:23

9e47b86ea307c89e8a49d97138f362b1.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Jfq0W6ItA
Year 17 Day 341 21:06
Ulrike Rayne Schultheiss

They're probably different because the units of travel aren't currently consistent across different levels of travel.

Also, just to be a bit technical here, the distance between 2 points on the surface does actually increase when you're further from the surface. Since you're flying "flat" along the curve of the planet both on ground travel and atmo travel, it'd make sense that it'd also take you longer to get from point A to point B if you're in atmo compared to going from point A to point B on the ground. Depending on how high you are from the planet's surface, the actual distance required to get from point A to point B while maintaining the same height could easily be higher. I doubt that's the actual reasoning behind it, but that'd be the reasoning I personally would use.

A (bad) example of this:
dimensions.png

If the inner circle is the planet and the outer circle is atmo (poorly scaled, I know, but bear with me here), the distance has doubled just because we're in atmo to get to the same point on the planet. If you're moving at the same speed both on land as you are in atmo, that also means the time to travel from point A to point B would double. Again, this probably isn't the reasoning the game is using, but it does make sense that something traveling at the same speed at 2 different heights would take longer to reach its destination the higher it is.

Edited By: Ulrike Rayne Schultheiss on Year 17 Day 341 21:12

TriNebulon News: Y18 D30 - ???
Voted worst art team member of Y19
ulrike_r
Year 17 Day 342 1:38
Might be even more logical to have longer atmosphere travel time when on 20x20 than on 8x8, no? :)

'dail-signature-1'/
Year 17 Day 342 8:54
Kal Eysar

Ships are capped to a max speed in atmos. I think 200 kmph? Which makes sense since they aren't aerodynamic and all.

Try atmospheric travel in vehicles that are designed to actually fly. You'll find it much more reasonable. :)

VFkBTU1.gif
Year 17 Day 342 11:11
Ulrike Rayne Schultheiss

Kal, you've got that backwards. Ships are capped in cities to 200kmph and are uncapped in atmo. However, afaik that cap only applies to cities, not cross terrain. I think that cross terrain and atmo use the same speed formula, though. There's no mention of another one. I'm wondering if OP might be talking about the fact you have to ascend and then descend to do atmo travel?

Edited By: Ulrike Rayne Schultheiss on Year 17 Day 342 11:11

ulrike_r
Year 17 Day 342 11:36
Val Crow

Ships are also capped when cross terrain; both Sprint-class rescue craft (Max Speed: 1,200 km/h) and Horizon Star Yacht (Max Speed: 550 km/h) will cross terrain in 30 min, while BFF-1 Bulk Freighter (Max Speed: 200 km/h) will cross terrain in 65-70 min.

And yeah, amto travel is so annoying that I have only done it a couple of times. Often, it's faster just cross terrain or ascend to orbit and then back down.

Year 17 Day 342 11:44
Lexor Gregain

Atmo travel is only for when you go to sleep. Ascend/descend to atmo, set atmo travel, go to bed. Pretty much only times I've used it. Seems pointless otherwise, as you are always either close enough that cross-terrain makes sense, or you're too far away so that only ascending all the way to orbit and back down makes sense.

Year 17 Day 343 19:13
TY for explaining the science behind this. It confused me. The whole circle diagram helped my smallnut brain tremendously.

9e47b86ea307c89e8a49d97138f362b1.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Jfq0W6ItA
Year 17 Day 344 22:58
Icarus Carinae

Expect most all travel times to be much more realistic with tactical grids. Amusingly because there's a minimum time travel from one city coord to another, all slow-moving ground entities get a free speed boost.

Year 17 Day 348 11:30
Years ago atmospheric travel was faster.
There was a reason to slow it down, I only cannot recall... something with xp or grid-system?

But anyway; I think it should be faster, thin air, no obstacles, just like as in real life where jets are able to fly faster on higher altitudes.

14yagk3.jpg
Buy now your Limited Edition J-Type 327!
Commerce Forum
Year 17 Day 348 12:57
Ulrike Rayne Schultheiss

Sure, they can fly faster, but like I pointed out, they also have to travel further. Maybe not 2x the distance in my example, but it is still a longer distance. However, it doesn't make sense that atmo is slower than ground when ground is capped at 200kmph. I'd imagine that the tactical grid with its unified dimensions will fix that discrepancy, though.

ulrike_r