173 are online

Year

Day

Time

01:40:24

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » G-1A Starfighter, Light Freighter ==)> Fighter. Huh...?
Not sure whether you've realized (already) about this or not, but I just found that G-1A Starfighter has now been categorized as Fighter ship. I thought it was a Light Freighter ship as I've some datum kept on my laptop. Well, it's actually a HTML file which I saved some time ago, hopefully it will be a something useful someday, like how the stats of I-Beam starfighter was changed, and perhaps the weaponry for certain ships like uglies.

FYI, the G-1A Starfighter file which I saved has Y18 D150 timestamp written on the upper left corner. Not sure whether it has been announced on Sim News or not. If yes, I apologize for my lateness as I'm rarely online except during the Swap Meet.

As a comparison, I'll write the stats written on the old and new G-1A Starfighter. I only post the stats which are merely changed though, so here they are (marked in italic):
Old/Light Freighter
Propulsion
Hyperspeed: 6
Sublight Speed: 60 MGLT
Max Speed: 600 km/h
Manoeuvrability: 7.00

Dimensions
Weight: 145 T
Volume: 1,125 m³
Length: 15 m
Party Slot: 3.00

Defenses
Hull: 95
Deflectors: 75
Ionic Capacity: 50

New/Fighter
Propulsion
Manoeuvrability: 6.00

Dimensions
Party Slot: 1.00

Defenses
Armor: 25

Well, having an Armor stat and reduced Party Slot Size are good thing, but not with the Manoeuvrability stats and class change from light freighter to fighter.

Edited By: Axpo Gyromex on Year 18 Day 324 8:34

UTa2b1r.png

1zp5fy8.png
Ban Rishchakh

I don't understand the big deal behind class change. Party slot size is the real thing. And I suppose maneuverability was a bit too high for a tanky fighter like this one. If it wasn't for its dimensions, I would've said five. But it's generic too, so. It's a good thing for the galaxy.

Unlimited Power Ltd. - "Energy for Every Being"
It actually is supposed to be a fighter but I am not sure who made these changes because this will need some review in the future. I've temporarily set the party slots to 1.5 because this speed, maneuverability, and tankiness does not make much sense and probably does not actually characterize this ship accurately, but it will need a review once we look at defensive stats in line with a more final form of combat. At that point it should be balanced properly and have 1.0 slot restored as a fighter.

swcforumsig

I hadn't noticed the change either, but looking at it it does make sense

@Syn, the G-1A is slightly faster and more maneuverable than a Y-Wing, but has far less weapons and less armor as well. Likewise it costs 1.5x what a Y-Wing does to produce.

I don't have much experience with Space Combat yet, but that actually seems like a fairly reasonable compromise and 1 party slot seems to make sense in that regard.

Jic Uiji

It was done at the time of the meridian battle as I remember baugrems mentioning it on voice chat.

Jic Uiji

jic uili, intergalactic hutt crime lord
I don't understand the big deal behind class change.

- Ban R.

Well, it's a big deal for me though. Class changing means a catastrophe for me. If it's changed from Light Freighter to Fighter, it means a "protection" against black hole and sun is nullified. But amongst these two obstacles, black hole is the one which gives me a serious threat.

I take it that you're a new person who has just joined Combine. Well, in the Combine universe, there are two objects which will give you an insta-kill to your ship and yourself (plus your stuffs if they're on-board your ship) when you're traveling in the galaxy system even if you're not engaging in space combat: black holes and suns. However, the only ships which are easily destructible are the Fighters and Gunboats. Other than those, they're able to withstand from being destroyed when you hit either sun or black hole albeit your hull/shield/ionic capacitor is reduced by certain points.

Suns are easily recognizable by seeing a bright glowing fireball (animated image) when you're entering any system which is your current destination. They're also give a gravity generator field (indicated by red shades which surround both the sun and the planet in system) preventing you to do hyperspacing.

Black holes however are different than suns. They don't give any visible signature other than gravity generator field. If it's just one or two black holes which are found in both Kel Dors and Bsophs homeworld system, they're easily avoidable. But The Maw is different story, as it has numerous black holes in the system, so the gravity generator fields are...how to say it...covering up the "safe" route, so you can't tell which route is clear for traveling and which one is not.

It actually is supposed to be a fighter but I am not sure who made these changes because this will need some review in the future. I've temporarily set the party slots to 1.5 because this speed, maneuverability, and tankiness does not make much sense and probably does not actually characterize this ship accurately, but it will need a review once we look at defensive stats in line with a more final form of combat. At that point it should be balanced properly and have 1.0 slot restored as a fighter.

- Syn

You can use the Eta-class Shuttle from Light Freighter for stats comparison with G-1A Starfighter ones.
Eta-class Shuttle (Light Freighter)
Propulsion
Hyperspeed: 4
Sublight Speed: 45 MGLT
Max Speed: 450 km/h
Manoeuvrability: 4.00

Dimensions
Weight: 90 T
Volume: 720 m³
Length: 10 m
Party Slot: 4.00

Cargo Capacity
Weight Cap: 3 T
Volume Cap: 20 m³
Max Passengers: 4

Weapons
None

Defenses
Hull: 30
Deflectors: 50
Ionic Capacity: 25

Electronics
Sensors: 3
ECM: 0

G-1A Starfighter (Fighter)
Propulsion
Manoeuvrability: 6.00

Dimensions
Party Slot: 1.50

Cargo Capacity
Weight Cap: 0.2000 T
Volume Cap: 2 m³
Max Passengers: 2

Weapons
Heavy Laser: 2

Defenses
Armour: 25

Electronics
Sensors: 1
ECM: 0

I find it funny if the Eta Shuttle which has apparently smaller dimension than G-1A can be categorized as Light Freighter while G-1A Starfighter is changed to Fighter. I think it should stay as Light Freighter. But the G-1A (as Light Freighter) also needs the Armor stats, who knows that space combat by using Light Freighters will be released, sooner or later. As for the party slot, well, it should stick at 1.50.

Well, that's all of my idea.

Edited By: Axpo Gyromex on Year 18 Day 325 7:18

UTa2b1r.png

1zp5fy8.png
Let me get this straight Axpo, making the G-1A Starfighter, which incidentally enough was initially a fighter to begin with in the first place, is a "catastrophe" to you because if you are dumb enough to fly it into a blackhole in literally the single system in the entire galaxy where that is possible to not know where the black hole is when you get there (and last I checked as of a year or two back, the combine auto-pilots around blackholesthe same way it auto-pilots around suns) your ship will be destroyed when you are killed in it anyway?

You're that concerned about a fighter staying around after you're dead?

Since even with the "protection" you mentioned for the ship, ANY ship you pilot into a black hole, even if the ship survives, you still die.

In the EU, the G-1A could carry five people (including pilot). Zuckuss, the Gand bounty hunter from ESB, flew one. His was modified to hold 10 people.

That's probably why it's been viewed as a light freighter rather than a starfighter proper.

In the EU, the G-1A could carry five people (including pilot). Zuckuss, the Gand bounty hunter from ESB, flew one. His was modified to hold 10 people.

That's probably why it's been viewed as a light freighter rather than a starfighter proper.

- Weylin vC

Not only that, there are some G-1A room images I found from Google which are looked like this:
http://www.colonialchrome.co.uk/ShipImages/Generic/G_BYB_G1-A_SL.png

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars-exodus/images/0/07/Mist_Hunter.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151204191459

By judging the number of furniture placed in the G-1A interior, the ship is a bit too comfy to be considered as fighter.

UTa2b1r.png

1zp5fy8.png
Colonial Chrome is not a canon source, he has lots of inconsistencies. he is a great resource, but I would not believe all of his stuff as corect.

Your second link SHOULD be:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mist_Hunter

Which is a modified G-1a - which means its already not standard.

Dan Hakim

Would it not be better to put it into the Gunboat category if it's viewed as too powerful to be a fighter but not big enough for a freighter?

DukhaBanrHRZNTL_zps08e5f7a7.png
Joca de Jan

It is not too powerful. And all that this change from 1 party slot to 1.5 party slot did was to break existing squads for no good reason at all. We are nowhere near space combat release and Y-Wing squad will blow squad of G-1As without problem, at least for the time being. It is just a bit tanky starfighter which has sllight potential to be number one choice for those who would like to survive bit longer in space combat, but with its 2 laser cannons it sure does not do any significant damage to be considered overpowered.

Ban Rishchakh

Indeed there are more powerful ships, and as i said, it bejng public, it was a good thing. Maybe it needed a slight cut somewhere but not a 1.5 squad, especially that it's not crucial at the moment. I say, give the ship back to the people.

Unlimited Power Ltd. - "Energy for Every Being"