244 are online

Year

Day

Time

11:03:16

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 8 Day 72 4:19
Handle Change (Posted by Syn on Year 8 Day 70)
Erich Kun -> Erich Rommel

Reason: Original handle used last name of an existing Star Wars character.

- SIM News

In my opinion, some names should be forbidden.
For example last names of "famous" Nazis. Syn should have known better and shouldn't have allowed such a name. That is bad taste, IMHO.

ORE-Vip-Fortuna.png
Year 8 Day 72 4:33
Kirit Hin`Kirl
Kirit Hin`Kirl
I agree, all names that have ever been used during any Major League Baseball season need to be off limits.

Year 8 Day 72 4:45
Ralgarrch
Ralgarrch
So you'll be informing every person who currently has that name in real life that they should go change it because you consider it 'bad taste' due to one person who had the name?

It's just a name.

Edited By: Ralgarrch on Year 8 Day 72 4:48

Ral.png
Year 8 Day 72 10:41
Vip, are you sure he was a Nazi or just an officer in the german army?

For I think we went over this when talking about Khan's avatar.

ranmasig0.png\"

SWC Fanpage --\\\\-- SWC Twitter
Year 8 Day 72 11:06
Ranma, I remember that thread. IMHO it is also bad taste that Khan uses that pic. But that is an other story I don't want to re-open here.
Fact is, that even rule #8 could be taken to forbid that name.

"You may not have a handle that closely resembles that of a famous real life person or organisation:
Forbidden: George Lucas, Dalt Wisney, Micro Soft"

True... the given examples are all about names with one similar character (Lucas vs. Lukas), but it could also apply for Erich vs. Erwin. IMHO.

ORE-Vip-Fortuna.png
Year 8 Day 72 13:10
Sorry, but Erich is not sufficiently similar to Erwin, and his name was Erich before the change, so it is obviously not based on that figure. Were he to request Irwin Rommel, for example, that would not be allowed. Using just the last name of a figure, like Rommel, Lincoln, etc. is allowed under the rules (which is not a bad thing considering that it would severely limit handle choice if even last name of known figures could not be used).

swcforumsig

Year 8 Day 72 17:21
Trent Hackworth
Trent Hackworth
I didn't think Rommel was a common name and at least with Lincoln it doesn't jump out at you *Natzi!* if you get my drift...

And as for Khan's Avatar...Khan's got enough years to decide what he wants and honestly i love his avatar.

Year 8 Day 72 18:54
The rules only oppose using a full name that bears a resemblance to a known individual, to prevent players from essentially just roleplaying someone who does not exist in this universe; using just a last name is not against the rules, regardless of how common or uncommon it is (although it is worth noting that there are at least three significant individuals with this particular last name; Kirit already referenced the baseball player).

Previously this was the same for SW names, which is why so many players have surnames like Skywalker and Fett, but when that rule was changed, it was changed only for SW names, so that now SW surnames are no longer accepted, but other known last names are.

This does mean that someone could join as Bob Disney and it would be approved, but Waltt Disney would not be, if you see the distinction, in case that is a more helpful example to you than 'Lincoln.' Prominence of the last name is not the issue.

I really haven't got anything to say to the original poster's claim of bad taste, considering that is a very subjective area and some are more easily offended than others; that happens. I strongly suspect that no offense was meant by the individual who requested the change; it is not uncommon for players to reference notable military figures considering the nature of this sim. If it's any consolation to you, it is also believed that Rommel was involved in a plot to assassinate Hitler. ;P

And as for Khan's Avatar...Khan's got enough years to decide what he wants and honestly i love his avatar. 

I would not support a double standard. If something is deemed inappropriate, it ought to apply across the board. However, I have heard fewer 'indecency' complaints about Khan's avatar than about my own, so I really don't think that is an issue.

swcforumsig

Year 8 Day 74 1:06
Chise Ekando
Chise Ekando
I completely agree with the OP.

There's a lot of people around in SWC not just using the names, but also using the pictures of RL nazi officers. Why that is allowed, I don't know (and it's always, ALWAYS, people from overseas doing that). Honestly, if a German player would do that, everyone would scream murder (luckily, German players are smart enough not to do that). And I bet that the majority of players using those bastards don't even speak German.

I remember that some guy once used Heinrich Himmler as character image in SWC. Then changed it to a "normal" SS soldier. Disgusting.

I think it's extremely tasteless and quite an insult to everyone who fought against those bastards, not to mention towards all its victims. And it's typical for the arrogance and ignorance of people from certain oversea countries.

So, technically Syn, it would be fine if I'd make a character named... Alfred Hitler? Cool. After all, there were other Hitlers, too. Or I could make a... Samuel Hussein? A Kim Jang-Ul? An Asamus Ben Loden? A Harald Himmler? A Han Stalin? Of course, it's "just" a name. Nice to know that some people, obviously, haven't learned a damn thing.

This may not cause problems in the US, but could cause them in the EU. Considering the last uproar about computer games in Germany, I wonder what German media would say to this. Imagine the headline in the German "Bild": "STAR WARS GAME ALLOWS NAZI NAMES!" Certainly, that would bring up questions whether it would allow more than "just" the names.

Edited By: Chise Ekando on Year 8 Day 74 1:13

src

My friends want me to raid
But I don't want to
So I make up a really bad excuse:
I got a squirrel
In my washing machine
Year 8 Day 74 1:47
I wouldn't go that far as Chise Ekando. (Although I share her overall feelings).

I stopped writing here because I was confident with the answer Syn gave:
(...) his name was Erich before the change, so it is obviously not based on that figure. (...) Using just the last name of a figure, like Rommel, Lincoln, etc. is allowed under the rules.

- Syn

The names-approving-team has hard work to do. I know that.
And the names that go through and are spotted by players like me, are just the top of the Iceberg, I know! (Not to think of the numbers of names that are automatically forbidden by the system. OMG.)
And I do also know about the problem to define how close a name comes to a forbidden one.

I hope you aren't angry about us that we point out some player's names that we dislike or have a problem with.

ORE-Vip-Fortuna.png
Year 8 Day 74 5:19
... how about the name, "Teniel Isaslut?" Honestly, I know of someone who is probably going to be using that name. So, this is a real question.

Edited By: Zao Nephalem on Year 8 Day 74 5:21

jesbDYa.jpg

Fights like Hurricane, Killing, Ecstasy, Insane.
Year 8 Day 74 5:32
I already rejected that handle when it was requested; "Isaslut" is, in fact, a phrase rather than a name.

swcforumsig

Year 8 Day 74 6:29
Ok, well, no need me telling them they can?t then.

jesbDYa.jpg

Fights like Hurricane, Killing, Ecstasy, Insane.
Year 8 Day 74 8:27
Ralgarrch
Ralgarrch
The rejection does exactly that.

Ral.png
Year 8 Day 74 10:50
One of the Democratic candidates for US president has the middle name of Hussein, Chise... So are you going to tell Obama he can't use his own middle name anymore?

Perhaps the names are in bad taste, however in and of themselves, there's nothing wrong with them.

001.jpg\"
hapan_donator.jpg\"
Patriarch of House Ismay