Day

Time

14:54:37

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 8 Day 244 12:50
Lithio Iffelin
Lithio Iffelin
Has there ever been any talk of releasing the source code for the engine? There may be security concerns, but I know that I could learn a lot from pouring over it.

May the Grace of Ara go with you, and may His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies.
Year 8 Day 244 19:11
There was some talk a while back about releasing the Version 3 code (we're Version 2.1 at the moment) under GPL or something similar I think. The code at the moment isn't at all suited for release in terms of documentation and quality in some parts of the older stuff. We'd probably spend half our time supporting other users of it :)

Kids these days!
Year 8 Day 244 20:49
Trent Hackworth
Trent Hackworth
I dunno....i'd kill to have the code released under GPL. Then we'd have coders everywhere working on it...hell...i'd even take a shot with my shitty codeing on my own server...(Combat: Missile Fire: subtract 1 hull from N-1.) :P

Year 8 Day 245 16:14
Just my 2 cents worth - I'd like to see the code released under some open source agreement; it would help others build sims for other intresting storys.

Year 8 Day 246 21:08
Yeh, that was one of the things we liked about the idea (making it easier for others to build sims in different universes).

Kids these days!
Year 8 Day 250 7:58
To be totally honest, I am not convinced that going under GPL license is the best solution for SWC.

I dream of other universe since years already. technically, it would be simple to setup:
- another server
- new pictures and gameplay content (races, items, descriptions....)
- A team to support the players.

And that's it.

Such alternate universes could use the same code and same patch release system as us, even based on a single dev server (where we would add the ability to change of thema).

Even if we attract developers more interested in another thema, all universes and game instances would benefit from their coding.

What could we use a first themas ?
- WW2
- Antic wars (Roma)
- Middle Earth or other heroic fantasy)
- Non-SW space opera.

To be totally honest, having the RM requirements equation would help for all this.

Sim Master Veynom

*** This post is written on 100% recyclable electrons. ***
Year 8 Day 250 18:01
Veynom, even Star Wars in different eras could attract big crowds. KotOR-era, Clone Wars, various Sith Wars, the post-Endor era, the Legacy-era as established by the comics...

001.jpg\"
hapan_donator.jpg\"
Patriarch of House Ismay
Year 8 Day 251 7:26
Good idea, WvI and even easier and faster to implement because we only need ships, vehicles, droids and changing some items, stations, facilities ....

Sim Master Veynom

*** This post is written on 100% recyclable electrons. ***
Year 8 Day 251 10:14
Well, truth be told, that's basically how it is for anything. Except with earlier eras, there'd be more hidden systems (Bacta could be renamed to Kolto too). With later eras, there'd be fewer.

Only problem is that there'd be cheaters from SWC using our map in a KotOR-era sim :P

001.jpg\"
hapan_donator.jpg\"
Patriarch of House Ismay
Year 8 Day 251 18:25
Lithio Iffelin
Lithio Iffelin
Eh, they could dilate the space somehow, like the maps are less accurate or something. I really like the idea of using them for other universes. Factions could also set up parallel combine universes to make accurate battlesims.

May the Grace of Ara go with you, and may His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies.
Year 8 Day 252 2:34
Ku`Bakai Roche
Ku`Bakai Roche
The Engine would probably work best for space games.

However there are a plethora out there you could use:

Andromeda
Star Trek (Original, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise)
Doctor Who
Babylon 5
Space Above and Beyond
Blake 7
Red Dwarf
Gundam Wing
Battlestar Galactica (either old or new)
Battletech (Pre Clan or Clan eras)

As for Star Wars:

You could create another one set in any of the following eras:

The Sith War
Galactic Republic
Clone Wars
Galactic Civil War
New Republic
New Jedi Order
etc

You could actually move towards different maps to trip up those that think they know everything. Basically you would just reorganize the various worlds into different sectors and possibly different locations.

However for any of the others to be entertained the Galaxy tools would need to be fixed.

KU_rank_tag_sig.gif