Year

Day

Time

12:27:13

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Page 1 2
Year 8 Day 300 2:45
Could an ASim please delete "Intruders? Where? Not here, that's for sure." as godmoding? It in no way, shape or form represents the NAO or any of its PC officials. As such, claiming a NPC is stating anything without our approval is therefore godmoding and against the rules. Thank you.

001.jpg\"
hapan_donator.jpg\"
Patriarch of House Ismay
Year 8 Day 300 7:31
I discussed this with the team and I fail to see the godmode. We have some fictional NPC saying "everything is fine, don't believe the house is burning" and all the show coming from an entertainment faction .... I wonder where is the rules problem.

The post does not state whether the testimonies come from a PC or NPC or is a fake one.

So far, my best opinion would be for the NAO official representative to post a small formal post denying everything and stating Silverhelm does not talk on behavlf of NAO and so on.

Sim Master Veynom

*** This post is written on 100% recyclable electrons. ***
Year 8 Day 300 7:46
With respect, Veynom, perhaps you should review the GNS rules again:

"Posts that are not relevant to any database-affecting actions require the permission of any faction leader/owner whose faction's actions you choose to godmode."

Claiming to speak for a Governor of the NAO (whether PC or NPC) would certainly fall under non-database-affecting actions of a faction, and would require WvI's permission.

Those are the rules as stated, and they should be enforced for everyone.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 8 Day 300 14:34
Tyr Tulon
Tyr Tulon
With all due respect though, NMI and/or Mandalore taking over planets is certainly database effecting, so posting about that, not only is acceptable, but the general case (of someone taking over a planet and posting a GNS about it) is actually the example of what is acceptable in the rules .
Posts detailing major events can be either based on database-affecting actions taken in the game (ie: if you actually took over a planet) or actions said to occur outside the limited abilities of the game-client. 
(the paragraph above the one you quoted)

Whether the information is true or not, imho, would fall under
2/ You May

* Spread false information about yourself or another group/person for any reasons.

* Perform Propaganda. 
From the spying rules.

Year 8 Day 300 20:40
The rules I posted for the GNS quite clearly contradict the Spying Rules, that you may NOT spread false information about a faction's actions on the GNS without their permission. The GNS rules apply first to the GNS, not the Spying rules.

Comments made by a Governor of the NAO are NOT DB actions. If the GNS were reporting the DB-affecting actions of NMI and Mandalore, there would not be an issue. But it's not about their actions, it's about posting apparently fictional quotes from a non-existent individual, who they do not have the authority to control the actions of.

The GNS rules may not make much sense, but as long as they exist they should be applied equally to all groups. Wilhelm has a valid complaint that the actions of his faction have been godmoded, which the current GNS rules do not allow.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Year 8 Day 300 21:37
Tyr Tulon
Tyr Tulon
"Comments made by a Governor of the NAO are NOT DB actions." That I will agree with, comments in and of themself are no database effecting. At least in this case, what the Governor was commenting on though was.

"I can assure you that the rumors that Anzatan space is falling into Mandalorian hands is purely fiction" That's straight from the post, addressing ownership of planets and all that, which is undeniably DB affecting.

To bring up what you quoted again, "Posts that are not relevant to any database-affecting actions require the permission of any faction leader/owner whose faction's actions you choose to godmode." It really doesn't apply here, since the topic is taking or controlling or having (or however else you'd like to say it) planetary/space ownership, which is a database effecting action. That being said, what I quoted from that same page does not say that you need anyone's permission, which is why I fell back to the Spying rules, which happen to be relevant, applicable, and not contradictory. So there's nothing wrong with the GNS rules, and no violation.

In short:
The post is about taking/not taking ownership of planets/space.
Taking/not taking ownership of planets/space is a DB affecting action.
Therefore, the post is about a DB affecting action.
...Which the rules about posts based on database-affecting actions apply, and the rules about posts that are not relevant to any database-affecting actions, do not.
So, none of the rules that actually apply were broken.

Edited By: Tyr Tulon on Year 8 Day 300 21:38
Year 8 Day 300 23:27
Tyr, they can make as many posts about NMI and Mandalore taking control of NAO space as they want. And WvI can do no more than sit at his 'puter and cry, if he wants to. Those are, as you state, DB actions and fair game for any GNS news post. That is not the element that is under dispute. The element that is under dispute is the godmoding of the NAO government, through the use of quotes claiming to come from one of their Governors. Clearly the Governor's quotes are not DB actions, and they therefore cannot be used without permission from the faction leader - in this case WvI - according to the rules.

In instances where named members of the GE have had fake quotes from them posted on the GNS, the post was quickly and appropriately removed from the GNS. There is no difference between that instance and this one - using a person's name should not change the fact that you cannot quote them without their permission.

The NAO should have control over it's own Governors - whether PC or NPC - and any quotes that appear from them on the GNS. If no NAO PC Governor actually said any of the things in that GNS, it is godmoding, and a clear violation of the rules.

Year 8 Day 301 4:17
"The post does not state whether the testimonies come from a PC or NPC or is a fake one."
When I know all the NAO governors (read: One) and he didn't say it, I say that kind of gives in the clue. Either way, it seems that Hal is more up to date on the rules than you yourself, Veynom.

Please enforce the rules in a non-biased fashion. You delete GNS posts containing false quotes against the Empire because it breaks the rules. Do the same for us.

Tyr, the post is a poorly written set of falsified quotes. It'd be like us going on the GNS and having some random faked KR official, perhaps your secretary, claim you like to rape little girls. Perhaps an extreme, but I think you would believe that you maintain more control over YOUR NPCs than anyone else.

Either way, the rules clearly state the guidelines and it was obviously broken.

001.jpg\"
hapan_donator.jpg\"
Patriarch of House Ismay
Year 8 Day 301 5:31
WvI: your governor name is not mentioned, only "a governor", underlying that several governors (could) exist. Moreover, the post refers to existing DB affecting events.

I weighted the pros and cons of all argumentation and I sincerely think the best answer is to let the post "as is" and hope that you (NAO) will quickly post a short high-quality IC post aiming to counter the false allegations and discredit Silverhelms. For the gameplay, it is the best solution.

Sim Master Veynom

*** This post is written on 100% recyclable electrons. ***
Year 8 Day 301 7:52
Veynom, if Wilhelm says he only has one Governor in NAO, then I'm afraid even you cannot contradict him. It's his faction, and he has control over how many governors he has.

For the gameplay, it is the best solution. 

Allowing unprofessional and immature crap, that violates the rules, to stay on the GNS is the best solution?

I'm afraid I really don't follow your reasoning. Can I violate the Spying rules, if I claim it's for the sake of gameplay? Maybe Brat Cost Ru should claim he was illegally spawning ships for the sake of gameplay?

The post containing fake quotes from the GE was deleted. This post, containing fake quotes from the NAO, should also be deleted. Enforce the rules!

Year 8 Day 301 8:47
Tyr Tulon
Tyr Tulon
Clearly the Governor's quotes are not DB actions, and they therefore cannot be used without permission from the faction leader - in this case WvI - according to the rules. 
I agree that quoting a Governor is not a DB action in and of itself. However, the topic of the post is about DB affecting actions, and if you look at the parts of the rules we've both been posting, they specify that the post. If the post is about DB affection actions, which I think we've reached the conclusion that it is, then the posts about non-DB affecting posts don't apply here, so they don't have to have Wil's permission to quote NAO members.

In instances where named members of the GE have had fake quotes from them posted on the GNS, the post was quickly and appropriately removed from the GNS. 
I don't know about those. Maybe they were posts that had nothing to do with DB affecting actions? Maybe they quoted a specific person who denied giving the quote to the admins? I dunno.

The NAO should have control over it's own Governors - whether PC or NPC - and any quotes that appear from them on the GNS. If no NAO PC Governor actually said any of the things in that GNS, it is godmoding, and a clear violation of the rules. 
The NAO should have control over it's NPC governors, maybe at all times, or maybe just for non-DB affecting posts. A PC has the freedom to say whatever they want, and NAO has no control over what gets quoted from them (assuming they do say it). Furthermore, something like the admins making the people who made the post tell them who the anonymous Governor is, and then verifying with them if they did or didn't say it would be a large breech in IC/OOC separation. If Wil wanted to find out if that was said IC, he'd have to find out through IC means. If they can prove beyond question that it wasn't said, then it'd be worth examining the case closely to see if it is godmoding (which it probably would be), and if that's technically a violation of any rules. It doesn't violate any GNS rules, since the only time it comes up is in rules for a situation that does not apply here, since the post was about DB affecting actions.

Please enforce the rules in a non-biased fashion. 
That's so never going to happen, be realistic. Still, imo, this isn't one of the many cases of the rules being applied biasly.

the post is a poorly written set of falsified quotes. 
It is definitely poorly written, as are most of my posts (I'll admit it). If the quotes are false or not, I think that'll have to be proven by you, and that the admins aren't going to help you look into that. Furthermore, I'm not entirely positive that falsified quotes are a rules violation, the rules clearly only say it is for "Posts that are not relevant to any database-affecting actions", which this is not.

It'd be like us going on the GNS and having some random faked KR official, perhaps your secretary, claim you like to rape little girls. 
Ahhh, not so. Raping little girls is not a DB affecting topic. Planetary ownership is. This would be like you going on GNS and faking a KR official saying that we made you KR's President, or we gave you all of our planets, or something like that. Those are DB affecting actions, so you could do that, according to the rules. We on the other hand just have to make a short post that says "Nope, he's lying, look for yourself" and it's all taken care of, and that's exactly what Vey's suggested NAO do.

Veynom, if Wilhelm says he only has one Governor in NAO, then I'm afraid even you cannot contradict him. It's his faction, and he has control over how many governors he has. 
Probably true. Wil can't speak for that Governor though. So it's possible, thus far, that the Governor did secretly say that, however unlikely. Furthermore, if the Governor didn't say it, it's still not necessarily a rules violation.

Allowing unprofessional and immature crap, that violates the rules, to stay on the GNS is the best solution? 
Allowing unprofessional and immature crap, that does not violate the rules, to say on the GNS is the best solution. Most GNS posts are unprofessional and crap. Mine would be too, which is why I don't write them. I'm not a writer, I'm a nuclear engineer, and engineers really aren't known for their communication skills ... at least not in a good way.

The post containing fake quotes from the GE was deleted. This post, containing fake quotes from the NAO, should also be deleted. Enforce the rules! 
There is a difference (probably, as I said, I never paid attention to the GE GNS's you're talking about). It's sorta like the discussion in Traders Lounge the other day, about Vodo being on the thieves list because he ordered his members to steal, but when Wil ordered Auron to confiscate property, it wasn't the same situation, so Auron wasn't added to the list. Well, here, according to the rules, whether the post is about something DB affecting or not determines if you're required to get the permission of any faction leader/owner whose faction's actions you choose to godmode. This post was about DB affecting events, so their permission isn't required.

Year 8 Day 301 9:35
Cam Antilles
Cam Antilles
Yes, the taking over of planets is a database event and can thus be posted and responded to. Neither Hal or WvI is saying that the event of taking over planet isn't a database event.

While you can still post about a database event, you CAN NOT use a player's character, a Faction or represent that faction in your GNS post unless you have the permission of that faction. Quotes by a fictional NPC character are not database effecting, thus to say that the NPC was part of the NAO is a violation of the rules (Unless the NAO has an NPC that when you talk to it, it has that script generated).

Ahhh, not so. Raping little girls is not a DB affecting topic. Planetary ownership is. This would be like you going on GNS and faking a KR official saying that we made you KR's President, or we gave you all of our planets, or something like that. Those are DB affecting actions, so you could do that, according to the rules. We on the other hand just have to make a short post that says "Nope, he's lying, look for yourself" and it's all taken care of, and that's exactly what Vey's suggested NAO do.

So if someone stole my ship (a database event), I could claim that KR was officially involved in stealing my property and even quote that official KR policy as quoted by a high ranking official is to steal ships if they think the target will be unable to fight back against theft.

WvI: your governor name is not mentioned, only "a governor", underlying that several governors (could) exist. Moreover, the post refers to existing DB affecting events.

I weighted the pros and cons of all argumentation and I sincerely think the best answer is to let the post "as is" and hope that you (NAO) will quickly post a short high-quality IC post aiming to counter the false allegations and discredit Silverhelms. For the gameplay, it is the best solution.

So if the Galactic Empire takes over Endor, I'm allowed to make a GNS post stating that the Empire took over Endor (DB action) and then post saying that the local planetary governor stated that the reason behind taking over Endor was that the Emperor has a fetish for small hairy animals and it was starting to get too costly to keep importing them into the Imperial Palace? Then it would be up to the Empire to craft a response to that GNS? If so, you're opening up a lot of doors.

swcsig.jpg\"
\"Somewhere, there\'s a bullet with your name on it. The trick is to die of age before it finds you\"
Year 8 Day 301 9:52
Jeb`el Ras
Jeb`el Ras
Best solution would be for an asim to contact the poster and determine if the quote is legit, or made up.

If it's a legitimate quote coming from *anyone* in NAO, governor or not (someone in NAO could have made the statement and lied about being a 'governor') then there's nothign wrong with the post.

If the writer made it up out of whole cloth, it's in violation and should be deleted.

' ' ',
` Jeb`el
Moebius (co-founder)

When all its work is done, the lie shall rot; The truth is great, and shall prevail,
When none cares whether it prevail or not. - Coventry Patmore
Year 8 Day 301 10:36
Tyr Tulon
Tyr Tulon
While you can still post about a database event, you CAN NOT use a player's character, a Faction or represent that faction in your GNS post unless you have the permission of that faction. 
I hate to say it, but that's just not true. No where in the rules does it say that you cannot use a player's character or faction or whatever in a post if that post is about a database event. If you don't believe me, go read the rules, or look at what Hal and I have been quoting. You'll notice each one splits posts into two categories, and sets up the rules for them. It doesn't say "Each part of a post that is not relevant to any database-affecting action requires the permission of any faction leader/owner whose faction's actions you choose to godmode", it says "Posts that are not relevant to...". If it was the first way, the post would be a rules violation, since the rules are the second way though, it's not.

So if someone stole my ship (a database event), I could claim that KR was officially involved in stealing my property and even quote that official KR policy as quoted by a high ranking official is to steal ships if they think the target will be unable to fight back against theft. 
According to the rules, yes. I have little doubt that KR would post their own GNS shortly after yours denying it and everything, but according to the rules, the way they're worded at the moment, you could do that.

So if the Galactic Empire takes over Endor, I'm allowed to make a GNS post stating that the Empire took over Endor (DB action) and then post saying that the local planetary governor stated that the reason behind taking over Endor was that the Emperor has a fetish for small hairy animals and it was starting to get too costly to keep importing them into the Imperial Palace? Then it would be up to the Empire to craft a response to that GNS? 
Probably not. A fetish for small hairy animals might not meet the PG-13 rule. If you did keep it PG-13, then, according to the rules, it should be allowed.

If I might make an observation, the current wording of the rules clearly allows the post (which is all I've been saying, not that it's right or wrong or whatever or should/shouldn't be allowed, just that it is), rather than trying to disagree with that, you (collective you, not targeting anyone specific) might get much farther by arguing that the spirit of the rule has been violated, and the wording of the rules needs to be changed to make further violations of the spirit of the rule in this manner actually be a rules violation.

Year 8 Day 301 10:41
Ku`Bakai Roche
Ku`Bakai Roche
I do agree with Tyr though, I have played RPG for going on 25 years. I have never found any DM, GM or player that was able to really fully separate OOC and IC knowledge. Noone can do it 100%. Thus you are almost always going to run into bias. This is particularly troublesome in games with multiple GMs and such where they gain access to knowledge that is not shared with the general players. Even though they try not to use the OOC information they often make decisions based on information their characters should not have, even if it is not necessarily obvious they do so.

Many of the GNS posts are little more than propaganda. I've found myself reading them less and less because they seem spun from the mind of a single individual in order to create a specific attitude. They are not news in the sense I consider news. You never see a balanced report, they are all biased (Which sadly is a growing trend in the Real World as well). You never see both sides put forth and the reader allowed to make an informed decision. So really Galactic Propaganda Service would be a better name than Galactic News Service.

I really don't see what the big stink is on this particular one. If I was in Wilhelm's position I wouldn't be pushing the administrators. I mean I might have posted here asking but once two or three exchanges had been made I'd have accepted the decision and moved on.

I would then probably post a response GNS where I had a named governor come forth disputing the so called anonymous governor's quoted material. I might even have announced a bounty on the head of the reported who misquoted him though it is possible they already have a bounty or are considered an enemy of NAO based on the GNS posting.

Tyr though did get a one thing mixed up though in the Trader discussion. Auron is on the thief list and has been for some time for other acts. It was Wilhelm that was not placed on the list. That was the decision of the administration which was not the shared view of several posters in said thread, but we've been asked to accept it and move on. The administration here has ruled. Time to accept and move on, you can't win them all.

KU_rank_tag_sig.gif
Year 8 Day 301 11:04
Cam Antilles
Cam Antilles
Tyr, one rule overrides the rest of them

Golden Rule: Use the Combine features in the spirit in which they have been designed. Don't try to exploit the features, use your common sense when using them. Ask yourself what is the purpose of the feature you are using and as such, what is the normal use for it. Abuses will be punished.

The SPIRIT of the rule implies that this is an illegal action. The SPIRIT of the rule says that you don't role play out other people's characters or factions. The SPIRIT of the rule take that GNS post and in essence creates two separate actions happening in that GNS post. The first action is reporting about a Database event, completely legal. The second action is to report on what another person said, without the permission of that person or its controller, not legal.

And before you go ask "well how do you know what the spirit of the rule is", I was one of the people who helped re-create the GNS rules after all the crap that started to get spammed on them. So I know very well what they are supposed to mean.

The administration here has ruled. Time to accept and move on, you can't win them all.

Moving on would imply that I care about this one specific incident. Those that read any disagreement I have with the admins know I don't. I don't care of this post gets deleted or not. It is the precedent that this action puts forth by the Administrations reaction that worries me. It is this precedent that will be used in future debates on this matter, and it is that precedent that I feel must be changed.

swcsig.jpg\"
\"Somewhere, there\'s a bullet with your name on it. The trick is to die of age before it finds you\"
Year 8 Day 301 11:52
Tyr Tulon
Tyr Tulon
So now we've gone from saying it violates some rule that no one can actually find to quote (that's applicable to the situation), to calling it an exploit?

The feature is the GNS, it was designed in spirit for people to post information and such, as was done here. There was no abuse, no exploit, and no bug. If you're suggesting that the rules be rewritten to make this sort of post illegal in the future, then I'll support that, or at least not disagree that it should be done, however, this post conforms to all of the written rules at the time it was posted, and just like people who's handles were created before the current rules and have been allowed to keep them, changing the GNS rules to disallow this should not result in this post being taken down.

The spirit of the rule not being followed is grounds for the rule to be rewritten for future cases, it's not grounds (imho) for any action to be taken relating to this post.

The rules, as they are written, were clearly followed. Do they need to be rewritten? Probably. But as they are now, they haven't been violated.

Year 8 Day 301 12:19
Tyr though did get a one thing mixed up though in the Trader discussion. Auron is on the thief list and has been for some time for other acts. It was Wilhelm that was not placed on the list. That was the decision of the administration which was not the shared view of several posters in said thread, but we've been asked to accept it and move on.

- Ku`Bakai Roche

In the spirit of distinguishing IC from OOC, I would like to point out that the administration has absolutely nothing to do with IC trading lists; all are run IC by players and OOC information is not taken into account. WvI was not added to one trading list, but he may have been added to others. None of that has any bearing whatsoever on the current situation nor any administrative decisions.

swcforumsig

Year 8 Day 301 13:08
If it's a legitimate quote coming from *anyone* in NAO, governor or not (someone in NAO could have made the statement and lied about being a 'governor') then there's nothign wrong with the post. 

Agreed 100%. But I'll note that Veynom has not commented on finding the source, or claiming it comes from NAO in some way, but rather he's saying that he considers if appropriate for the rules to not be enforced in this case.
Nor would Veynom have to name the source, at any point, to confirm it came from someone in NAO.

The feature is the GNS, it was designed in spirit for people to post information and such, as was done here. 

The GNS is designed for people to post ABOUT THEIR ACTIONS to the GNS. It is NOT designed for people to take/make up characters from other factions, and have them lie their asses off!

You cannot claim to have information from a representative of the NAO, unless you actually have a quote from a member of the NAO.

The GNS is not a primary (elementary) school playground. We should not have exchanges on there that run:
Faction 1: "You smell!"
Faction 2: "Nuh-uh!"
Faction 1: "Yeah, you smell!"
Faction 2: "I'm rubber, you're glue. Everything you say bounces off me and sticks to you!"
Faction 1: "Your mommy is fat!"
Faction 2: "My dad could beat up your dad!"

I'm hoping the vast majority of us have matured beyond this stage, and I see no reason the GNS should be allowed to degenerate to this level, when the rules are in place to prevent it.

Year 8 Day 301 15:52
Tyr Tulon
Tyr Tulon
The GNS is designed for people to post ABOUT THEIR ACTIONS to the GNS. 
Technically, it's a place to post news. In fact, the rules describes the GNS as "a place to post news, not recruit new members, not inform the public of your auction, not to say "My group offers cheaper prices than anybody else!", nor "Buy your ships from my group"." There's nothing in there one way or the other about not lying or anything like that.

You cannot claim to have information from a representative of the NAO, unless you actually have a quote from a member of the NAO. 
A) Prove they didn't. B) Says who? Not the rules. Let's make this simple and go through the entire rules page for the GNS and see if any rules were broken.

Posting on the GNS is a privilege, not a right. Continued misuse of the GNS will result in the forced removal of your ability to post on the system. All material on the GNS must be kept entirely in-character, out-of-character comments about any other person or faction will not be tolerated. 
The post is entirely IC, no OOC comments or anything, so no violation there.

All posts must be made within the PG-13 rules

While the galaxy is a dark and dirty place, and many of the galaxy's residents are not above the use of making their torture or executions public - it should be noted that any such mention should be dealt with as discreetly as possible, without overly gratuitous or graphic depictions of sexualized, or any other brutal violence. This is a family-friendly game, and you should keep your roleplaying to an acceptable medium not exceeding PG-13 fare. 
The post doesn't stray into the lewd or graphic or anything, it's entirely PG-13, so still no violations yet.

This is a place to post news, not recruit new members, not inform the public of your auction, not to say "My group offers cheaper prices than anybody else!", nor "Buy your ships from my group". If you are going to refer to a service your faction provides, it should be set up as a news story akin to "Golden Fish Enterprises posts new record in droid production" and the content should follow the same format. 
The post is a news story, not a faction advertisement or anything.

All posts should be made from the point of view of a reporter in front of a camera or as a newspaper reporter writing an article, not your personal self, not a commercial. If you wish for your character to play a major role or issue a speech, you may have the reporter quote or interview your character, but reference should still be made to the proper format of the news. 
It appears to be written by a reporter, and you can't say there aren't quotes or anything, the whole argument up to this point's been based on a reporter quoting an NAO official.

Posts detailing major events can be either based on database-affecting actions taken in the game (ie: if you actually took over a planet) or actions said to occur outside the limited abilities of the game-client. 
This is a post detailing major events, and is based on DB affecting actions, so there's nothing wrong yet.

Posts that are not relevant to any database-affecting actions require the permission of any faction leader/owner whose faction's actions you choose to godmode. 
The post was relevant to DB affecting actions, so this section doesn't apply.

Posts must not include more than four images as this greatly hampers dial-up users and there is no purpose 11 images can serve that can't be just as easily served with 4. Images cannot be more than 400 pixels wide and 50kb in size. 
There was only one sorta picture, we still haven't hit any violations yet.

Any posts not abiding by these guidelines will be deleted and no compensation will be paid, it is up to anyone posting on the GNS to inform themselves about the rules. Factions should provide these rules to anyone they give the GNS Posting privilege to. 
Well, the post abided by all of those guidelines, so it's not going to be deleted or anything.

That's odd, we appear to have run out of rules before we find one that applies that says you can't lie or any of the other 'violations' you're claiming.

I'm hoping the vast majority of us have matured beyond this stage, and I see no reason the GNS should be allowed to degenerate to this level, when the rules are in place to prevent it. 
That would be nice to have matured beyond that stage, though honestly, look back over this thread and I think you'll see that's just about exactly where we are. And you're right, rules are in place to prevent the GNS from turning into what you said right there, a post about someone's parents would be OOC, or non-DB affecting, in which case the rule specific to that case kicks in and would get the post deleted if it was IC.

Page 1 2