Time

17:26:07

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CenterRPG CenterQuestion Center
Archives » Avoiding multi's in different factions
Tyr Tulon
Tyr Tulon
When you go to join a new faction, would it be possible for the db or whatever to check to make sure you don't have a multi in a different faction already, and deny you if you do? It doesn't sound like it'd be too hard to slip in, just a few lines (I think), but it'd keep people from getting themselves banned or violating the rules and everything.

What's wrong with expecting people to follow the rules, and check themselves to make sure they're not in violation of the multi-accounts requirements?

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Phryss
Phryss
If you are a registered multi, your account settings page will tell you explicitly if you are in violation of the faction rule. The many sim news posts about multis should serve as more than enough reminder for multis to make sure they are following the rules.

I dare you to make less sense.

rotate.php\"
Are you a newbie, or do you have access to newbies?
Yes, let's not do something to help players so you can catch them and ban them. Because that's a fun exercise of power for admins and it's the best thing for the game.

I mean it's not like it would be just a two or three line addition to the script. Oh wait ... it would be. Darn.

This is an excellent idea. It shouldn't even be possible to break this rule because it can be hardcoded in. A lot of admin time making subjective calls can be saved by this. That's a worthwhile expenditure of programming time.

Edited By: Rand Axim on Year 9 Day 198 21:43
Oh, yeah, because it's so much easier for the coders to do all the work than to expect any of the players to take any responsibility for their own actions, right?

There is no "subjective call" necessary, if the people who KNOW they are registered as multis with somebody else use the tool that was ALREADY CODED to tell them if they are in compliance with the rules or not.

If you're playing Russian Roulette with "are the Admin going to check my account while I'm breaking the rules?" then yes, you deserve a ban.

If you can't follow the simple and easy multi-account rules, then how are you going to follow any of the more complex ones, like the Spying rules?

I used to be a multi-account with someone. So I know the rules, I know the restrictions, and I know how easy it is to follow them.

It's not like you suddenly "forget" you're a multi, and go breaking the rules because you didn't know you had to be in the same faction as someone else.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Phryss
Phryss
It is unreasonable to expect the programmers to incorporate multiple layers of hand-holding to remind players of the rules they should already know; especially rules as simple and publicly-discussed as the multi rules.

There is already a feature to tell players they are breaking the multi rules. Why is two the magic number? Should there be three?

I am neither admin nor programmer, so I don't know how many lines of code it would take. But for every player who views the page to join a faction, then, there would have to be a check to see if they are a registered multi. Then there would need to be a check of the player's desired faction as well as the faction of all of his/her multis, and a comparison of those values. If they are not the same, the code needs to stop them from going any further.

It's certainly more than two or three lines, and even were it to prove a relatively simple job, I have seen that the coders are always wary of putting in any nonessential features that call records from the database. It is not, in all likelihood, an efficient use of time and code to produce a feature that is not only minor but redundant.

edit: But by all means, put this in the suggestions forum where it belongs, and where coders are more likely to see it so they can have a say. If it is indeed so simple, perhaps a bored coder who does not like his/her current project path will take it on as a detour.

Edited By: Phryss on Year 9 Day 198 22:38

I dare you to make less sense.

rotate.php\"
Are you a newbie, or do you have access to newbies?