219 are online

Year

Day

Time

18:53:24

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CenterRPG CenterQuestion Center
Archives » How can I delete my char/account?
Page 1 2
How can I delete my account in the combine?

Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl
You can't. Killing your character will let you make a new one, but accounts can't be removed.

If you simply want to stop playing, stop logging in. If your account is still below level 2, it will be deleted after 9 months of inactivity, otherwise it won't be deleted at all.

If you want to start a new character, your old one will have to die in-game and you will have to wait 3 weeks before creating a new character.

mystats.php?uid=c1
Cesodevo Avina
Cesodevo Avina
If I may invade this topic with a question of my own:

Accounts that have a character with level 2 or above are not deleted. But what if I am, say, level 5, and I not only do not want to play anymore, but I want my entire account deleted as well (for instance, I named my character after my real life name - and I know some characters who have the same name IRL as in-game - and I apply for a high-level business job and I don't want my potential employer to know that I had an account here), would it be possible to "make a special request" to have it deleted?

Time to go to war with the Flame Tigers!
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl
You could at least ask for your name to be changed since it matches your RL name..

Cesodevo Avina
Cesodevo Avina
Hmm. My first post almost makes it look as if I actually did name my character after my real name. That was meant to be an example, I actually did not do such a thing.

So the policy is "no deletions, ever"? Or are exceptions known to be made, depending on the situation?

"no deletions, ever"

mystats.php?uid=c1
Cesodevo Avina
Cesodevo Avina
I see.

Ok, thanks.

And sorry for hijacking the thread, but topic-wise, it seemed more appropriate than creating a new thread.

You can get your name changed by killing your character waiting 3 weeks then recreating.

Now, will a level 1 account, on the second or later character be deleted for inactivity?

Warning this is strictly Orions McPhees Opinion, it may or may not have any bearing on events true or imagined

orionsigmy0.jpg\"

Surely if someone asks you to remove their details from your server you are obliged to do so? It's against the data protection act to store information against someone's wishes for an indefinite amount of time....

Ezekiel_Master.png
Ezekiel, No it isn't. Doesn't apply in this situation.

\"Visit
Cesodevo Avina
Cesodevo Avina
Same name or different name, Orion, it doesn't really matter in the end, because the important information is not the character, it is the account. It is the account where all the relevant information is stored. The character is an extension of the account, and can, if the character is named after the player, be not more damaging, but more obvious.

How does it not apply? If this site is accessible in the UK then it must abide by the rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Protection_Act#Plain-language_summary_of_key_principles

"# Personal information may be kept for no longer than is necessary."

If someone is no longer playing the game then it is no longer necessary to retain their real name, date of birth, country of origin, etc.

Ezekiel_Master.png
That's not true, Ezekiel, the server is hosted in the United States, and thus US laws apply.

Besides, the person could simply log in themselves and change their email address. If needed, someone from the administration can remove his/her real life name (and other personal information) from the database, even though that kind of data isn't accessible to any player.

mystats.php?uid=c1
That's what I was asking Togan.

Mikel, it doesn't matter where the server is located. If the site is accessible in the UK then it must abide by UK laws. I know this because the company I work for has sites running in the UK and we must abide by those laws; the servers are located in Switzerland.

Ezekiel_Master.png
So if the UK makes a law that all people with a website have to send them $1,000 a year, I would have to abide by that because my website can be accessed by some idiot in Westhamptingtonbinghamshiretownville?

Sorry, you're spouting utter BS.

No.. if you store the details of people from the UK then who have to handle it in a certain way. If you made a website that collected people's information without them knowing them that would be breaking the act, and you'd be breaking the law.

But as Togan said, if requested the admin can scramble your information and change it; so there isn't an issue.

Ezekiel_Master.png
Organisations in the UK are legally obliged to comply with this Act, subject to some exemptions. 

SWC is not an organization in the UK. On top of which, all information is voluntarily submitted rather than required, and nothing is made public, so it would be impossible to make any sort of valid case.

The administration normally is willing to accomodate players out of respect for their personal interests, and because it has no impact on SWC one way or the other, but legality does not factor into it.

Same name or different name, Orion, it doesn't really matter in the end, because the important information is not the character, it is the account. It is the account where all the relevant information is stored. The character is an extension of the account, and can, if the character is named after the player, be not more damaging, but more obvious. 

What the hell difference does this have to do with the question I asked?

If I kill my character, wait 3 weeks and recreate, then go inactive before I reach level 2, will my character or account be deleted after 9 months of inactivity?

Edited By: Orion Mcphee on Year 9 Day 236 0:58

Warning this is strictly Orions McPhees Opinion, it may or may not have any bearing on events true or imagined

orionsigmy0.jpg\"

Page 1 2