Year

Day

Time

03:28:45

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 9 Day 360 4:23
Guest/Visitor

Alright, here's the deal. I was asked to choose a name. After having tried and being rejected at the form page numerous times, I came up with a name which seemed "Galaxy far far away-ish" and yet not so outlandish as to be unreasonable. Vector Illyrin. Tell me that name is unreasonable. Go ahead. If your system is so strenuous as to reject a name on the basis that it doesnt sound "realistic" (Specifically, doesn't sound like a name) in a gorram sci fi setting with names like Jabba, Sebulba, Anakin, or Padme, why the sweet sassy molassy is Vector Illyrin unacceptable? Maybe you should reconsider this system, as it has definately forced me to reconsider waiting another 4 bloody days for my membership to be accepted. Again.
Should any mod choose to change the status of this request, I would be more than happy to continue my attempt at what sounds like a deep and involved online community. If not, well, I've saved myself another 4 days of waiting excitedly to try something "unreasonable"

Jason

Year 9 Day 360 4:35
There is no system, per se. Individual admins/mods who control it personally look at each one and make a decision. There is no automatic program that deals with it. It is possible that they didn't like the use of vector as a first name, considering the RL definitions it has.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 9 Day 360 5:53
There is a somewhat automated system which sometimes rejects names that are fine.

What's interesting to know now is is where you got the rejection message. Was it during the signup process or afterwards via email? In the latter case, what was the exact message provided in the email?

mystats.php?uid=c1
Year 9 Day 360 11:15
Guest/Visitor

Dear Vector Illyrin,

The SW Combine Administration has declined your membership application providing the following reason :

Your handle does not match our current rules requirements. It was turned down because it either contains numbers/special characters or it doesn't sound like a name (ie: Red Wolf). Please refer to the Character Creation rules page located at http://rules.swcombine.com/?Character_Creation for more information.

Was the body of the message I received in my inbox. The name selected by myself doesn't contain special characters or numbers, and it most certainly sounds like a name to me...so I fail to see the issue. I honestly would not be so frustrated were it not for the fact that it took approximately 4 days to receive a reply, and now I have to begin the process anew, when realistically I should be playing and enjoying this game already. Given the rationale I previously stated in regards to the obscure nomenclature of Star Wars naming conventions, I really feel this is heavy handed and unnecessary.

Year 9 Day 360 11:46
Could be because "Vector" is a dictionary word, but I agree that it seems like a good enough name to me. Sounds like someone's being a bit too overly cautious.

Year 9 Day 360 12:28
Should be fine; someone is being anal.

swcforumsig

Can't see this sig or sometimes other images? Chrome now default blocks mixed content on secure sites like SWC.
Go to chrome://settings/content/insecureContent and add www.swcombine.com to the Allow list.
If you want. I'm not your dad or whatever.
Year 9 Day 360 13:04
Guest/Visitor

I got the same email and I used the name generator to come up with my name lol pretty dumb to have a name generate that generates names your gonna reject. Was very excited to play this game but seems like it's harder to make a name than to actually play the game.

Year 9 Day 360 19:28
Guest/Visitor

OP here

Naming conventions are great to keep the flavour or feel of a game, but when I look at the forums here and see the sheer number of people with rejection issues, it makes me question the system, which leads me to wonder if the entire game is going to be this difficult and inaccessable. I'm glad to have at least some response to my post, but I have yet to see much of anything productive, rather more of the cacophony of people frustrated with this issue.

Year 9 Day 360 19:36
Guest/Visitor

Additionally, in response to elias and mikel; I concur that vector is a word found in a dictionary, however, the word butcher is also found in a dictionary...as is Baker, Miller, Christian, and countless others which have multiple connotations. Again, given the nature of the universe in question, I think it is farfetched to say anything short of Assburger McLargebottoms or similar nonsensical/childish names are invalid. I can understand the necessity of denying a name on the basis of duplicity or conflict with canon characters, but really? I'd like to hear more from the mods/admins/people who operate the admission system in regards to this, as slim as the chances of that may be.

Year 9 Day 360 20:33
We've already said that whoever declined you was being really unnecessarily anal and I, at least, off you an apology for that, but I don't know what else you'd like to do other than accept you next time?

Year 9 Day 360 20:38
A declined application is removed from the list. The status cannot be "changed".

Additionally, you may want to note the little bars that show up below certain people's avatars. These are team bars, and the icons within them represent areas of the game - you can get a full list of someone's teams and positions by hovering your mouse over the bar.

You will notice, if you do this, that Syn is an Assistant, and member of the Join team - the team that processes applications. Her response is about as official as it gets on this matter.

There is nothing that can be done on our end for a declined application, but you can apply again with the same name, and it should be accepted.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 9 Day 360 20:48
Naming conventions are great to keep the flavour or feel of a game, but when I look at the forums here and see the sheer number of people with rejection issues, it makes me question the system, which leads me to wonder if the entire game is going to be this difficult and inaccessable. 

None of the rejection issues are relevant to yours, however. The majority are multi issues, which are inevitable in all online games with multiple account restrictions, and of the naming issues, every thread but yours is by someone who is using a canon surname or has an obviously significant issue with their name that stems purely from not reading the rules. I've already alerted the others who handle join requests to ease up a bit, but that is the extent of what I can do. No, the join request system is not perfect, but nothing else is feasible, considering that at the end of the day all requests are still manually reviewed by volunteers in their spare time who must make a subjective decision.

Yes, you will probably find the rest of the game similar. It is incomplete, it is flawed, it is coded by volunteers in their spare time, for a player base that lives around the world (hence very slow 'real time' travel, prolonged delays before actions complete, and so on), and people constantly complain back and forth about where they want to see the game heading. This is a free online browser game; this is not KOTOR or World of Warcraft. Unfortunately, if you are expecting a sleek, efficient, professional finished product, this is not the place. If you are a patient person, want to experience a free player-created simulation and grow along with it to watch it progress, you may find this to your liking after all. But do expect to experience frustration along the way--we all do.

I got the same email and I used the name generator to come up with my name lol pretty dumb to have a name generate that generates names your gonna reject.  

As I've addressed in another thread that may have been yours, the name generator is used to give examples, and many of the surnames in particular were added to the generator before certain handle restrictions were implemented. As such, you still need to go to the URL provided to you in the rejection mail to ensure that the handle you are choosing follows the rules. That said, random name generators are random, and it is very plausible for some arbitrary combination to be inappropriate under our handle rules. That does not mean the components of which the name consists cannot be used in other names.

swcforumsig

Can't see this sig or sometimes other images? Chrome now default blocks mixed content on secure sites like SWC.
Go to chrome://settings/content/insecureContent and add www.swcombine.com to the Allow list.
Year 9 Day 360 21:19
Guest/Visitor

I appreciate the quick and explanatory responses. Hal- Thanks for pointing that out, I must have overlooked the tags. Syn- Realistically, given the system within which you work, asking the others to ease up a bit is exactly the sort of response I was looking for. I understand the fact that this is not KOTOR or WOW; I am well versed in turn/tick/extended time based games online. I'm not looking for instant gratification, and I appreciate the fact that this is a volunteer based project. I still feel that accessability is integral to a project such as this, and even though I have been frustrated by the rejection, your responses have at least given me the resolve to give this another try.

My complaints were merely meant to expose what I feel is a flaw, albeit minor in the scheme of things, that makes it difficult for someone new to this community to begin the process of integrating. Hopefully it will open debate as to what could be done to improve or modify the system to avoid further issues. If I'm going to devote time to a long term investment such as this, I'd like to provide whatever input I can to improve not only my own, but everyone's experience in enjoying what I hope will be an interesting and involved project.

I'm off to submit another application. Thank you again for your responses and I hope to hear from you all again within the game itself. If anyone has suggestions as to where I could assist in any manner with this community, I'd appreciate your input.

Jason

Year 9 Day 360 21:24
Once you've got an account, you will have access to the various Suggestion forums located in the Message Centre. It is best to get a feel for the current features and functionality of the game for a while initially, but keep an eye out for things you believe can be improved, and post your feedback in the Suggestion forums--after reading the sticky threads!

swcforumsig

Year 9 Day 360 21:25
Guest/Visitor

Huh...Well, I guess I'm going to have to change my handle regardless, again, as the system now informs me right off the bat that the name I have chosen is unacceptable, even though you all said it should be fine. I'd say this is going to be my last shot at this, unfortunately.

Jason

Year 9 Day 360 21:50
If you're copy/pasting it in, it might not be reading it as two separate names. I seem to recall seeing that as a problem before.

If you're typing it from scratch, I don't see any reason it should be giving an error, if it's the exact same name you said you applied with previously.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Year 9 Day 360 22:14
Guest/Visitor

Nope! Most definately tried from scratch, and I'm sure it was correctly done as I second checked the page twice to avoid having to re-do it. I really don't understand, but it's rather a moot issue at this point, as I've applied under another handle. Not a very creative one, mind you. More like my own name. Oh well, such is the internet...

Year 9 Day 360 22:40
That is extremely strange. I tested it here, and got the same error message you seem to have. Then I tested it on the Dev server and it went through.

Syn, we don't have a function where declined handles are automatically added to a blocked list, do we?

Year 9 Day 361 3:00
Yes, they are added to the block list if the first invalid handle reason is selected; someone with the proper access (usually Khan) needs to remove them.

swcforumsig