Day

Time

04:37:26

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CenterRPG CenterQuestion Center
Archives » In-system location after exiting hyperspace
Greetings:

Well, this is not really a problem, but more of a general, non-essential question.

My question is this: Is it possible to pre-determine at what point in a system you will be when you exit from hyperspace?

For example: Currently, I am driving a high-hyper, low-sublight freighter for my faction. To shave hours from my travel time, I thought it would be nice to exit hyper on whichever side of the system my destination planet was on. In other words, normally I would pop up at (15,0), and travel 15 squares to reach the planet at (15,15). However, if I could pop up at (19,15) instead, I would only have to travel 5 squares. Thus, I thought I could exit hyper in open space one point away from the system, then turn and make a mini-jump, arriving at the new point closer to my planet.

Much to my surprise, I ended up on the same edge of the system as I did before when I traveled straight to it.

So, what determines your starting point in a system when you arrive out of hyper? Thanks for tolerating this strange question!

Edited By: Arc Davaire on Year 7 Day 151 17:46

arcsig2fw0.png\"
You should arrive at the edge closest to your square of departure. So if you over-jump the system by one (say arrive at 211,200 instead of 210,200) you should then be able to jump back into the system on the side next to 211,200. This was used to great effect by some people in the races that were held a while back.

You should bear in mind that hyperspace travels like sublight. You travel a diagonal to get level with your destination (either horizontally or vertically) and then travel a straight line. Or you go straight then diagonal. It varies, and I forget when it uses which method.

But anyway, which of the 8 surrounding squares that you were last in should determine your exit point of the 8 possible for each system.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Thanks for that good information, Hal. The properties you describe do make sense intuitively, and that is what I had assumed. After reviewing my ship's log, I realized that my mistake had been in confusing the x and y, or horizontal and vertical coordinates. So, I came into the system from above, rather than from the right, as I had intended.

I had never thought about using this technique for a race. My main motivation was trying to avoid hours of crawling through the system on a low sublight speed. Again, thanks for the information. That answers my question!

arcsig2fw0.png\"