Day

Time

19:12:56

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 20 Day 316 3:02
Ethan Stellar
Ethan Stellar
I have 3 skill points. How much more should I save and what should I spend them on?
What skills are good to upgrade? Should I upgrade my freighter piloting to 5? My piloting combat is 4. Should I try and balance my character out? Maybe upgrade dexterity slicing or stealth? Can I have some help and your thoughts as to where my character skills should go?

DHcPtn2_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
Year 20 Day 316 5:25
We can't be the ones to tell you where to put your skill points. Some people save them all until they want to do something specific, others just put them in willy-nilly. You have to decide what features interest you and what skills are needed for those features.

Most people have different ideas -- just think of what you enjoy doing in game and if it would be beneficial to increase skills related to it.

sigs
Year 20 Day 316 19:24
What are your goals for your character? If you aren't sure yet, I'd suggest holding on to the skill points until you know. You don't have to spend them right now. I always keep some in reserve in case I want to do something new or a new feature is released/modified that I might want them for.

swcforumsig

Can't see this sig or sometimes other images? Chrome now default blocks mixed content on secure sites like SWC.
Go to chrome://settings/content/insecureContent and add www.swcombine.com to the Allow list.
If you want. I'm not your dad or whatever.
Year 20 Day 317 17:17
Ethan Stellar
Ethan Stellar
My goal for my character is, to become a rogueish pilot character. Someone capable of flying a ship getting the job done and getting out of sticky situations when, if they arrise. Ethan is a robin hood/Rogue character of sorts.

He mainly does his own thing surviving on the fringes but is willing to help others when they need help the most. A while back when I started this character I didn't quite understand the whole stats system and now that I do, I wish I could have balanced my character more at character creation. Now I'm going to have to balance my character out manually over time.

My character has some strong stats mainly in piloting ships and vehicles. He's a decent combatant but everything else is just 2s and 1s. I plan to balance him out. Maybe upgrade his combat skills later on as well as his slicing.

A while back when I made this character I thought space combat was important so I made it a wopping 4. Which I'm not sure space combat is good to invest in if I'm not planning on being a fighter pilot.

Any tips on getting my player balanced out?

Year 20 Day 317 18:53
I find that it makes more sense not to try to balance your skills, because you just don't get that many skill points. I mean, calculate how many points it'll cost you to "balance" everything, and then think about how many XP levels you need to gain for that. It's probably just not viable, and you'd be boosting skills you'll probably never even use.

If that's the case, though, you might want to focus on dex and maybe medical skill and get involved in hunting, since that's the fastest way to level and therefore gain more skill points.

swcforumsig

Can't see this sig or sometimes other images? Chrome now default blocks mixed content on secure sites like SWC.
Go to chrome://settings/content/insecureContent and add www.swcombine.com to the Allow list.
Year 20 Day 317 20:57
Ethan Stellar
Ethan Stellar
I mean balance as in balancing out my character so that he's not all over the place in skills. I'm just looking to polish him a little and make him decent at other skills besides piloting. I don't plan on balancing out all his skills. Just a small variety of them. That way he's not just good at one thing. For instance. Maybe Ethan is best at piloting but he has a few other strong skills. Like for instance maybe level 3 in slicing and level 4 in dexterity. Making him a skilled rogue.

Also how do skill points exactly work? I know the higher the better but. How much of a difference is 1 point? Like how does the skills system work?

Edited By: Ethan Stellar on Year 20 Day 317 21:06

Year 20 Day 317 21:36
The difference per skill point or level really depends on the skill. For piloting, you gain a 5% speed increase per skill level, but remember that each skill level costs an increasing number of skill points, so at higher levels you get less speed per skill point spent.

For medical, it increases the amount of healing a medical item does by the equation on the medical rules page, and the HP value varies by which type of medical item you are using, so it's difficult to easily summarize. Combat is a bit more complex, too.

Each infantry command skill level lets you command an additional squad, which is useful if you like to patrol NPCs/creatures to level them.

Some skills give you greater gains than others. And of course some do nothing at this time. You might want to think about what you are actually doing in game, or plan to do (which is why I asked about your goals), since if you aren't really needing to break locks, you likely won't get much value out of slicing, for example.

Edited By: Syn on Year 20 Day 317 21:37

swcforumsig

Year 20 Day 339 22:42
Avellyn that is good advice. Yet, I had similar questions; more thinking about

the level of limitation that the game itself might impose. For instance, i just read a post with some rules saying to not expect to pilot a y-wing if your not of the rebel alliance? I guess then, as a pirate, I would think I would like to have speed to get away if I get someone's ship. But see, that;s not how it works here, I see. So there is some kind of grid, which the people who have experience in the game could help sort out so we can work best , within the
conditions set within the game. i mean we know more or less what each skill
is for, but we do not know in which type of situation we can use a certain skill, in what way, to what point, and most importantly, what is it going to look like once we are inside of the game? Does that make sense, and if it does, what kind of feedback could you guys offer on this, just from your experience
when has a certain high skill set been useful for your character?

Year 20 Day 339 23:18
Hmm, where did you read that about Y-Wings? They're actually one of the most common ships accessible to just about anyone. It's A-Wings, X-Wings, and B-Wings that are restricted. Y-Wings are easy to get hold of, though.

I think the skills themselves are fairly well defined, and from there you just need to understand how the features as a whole work. There are definitely varying degrees of complexity there. For example, the arrest/execute rules are incredibly complex, to the point that even vets need to periodically look them up or ask others to determine who can arrest under specific conditions. But with piloting skills, they always work the same way, so you know that they will take effect anytime you are piloting a ship yourself.

But as you learn more, please do feel free to bring up if something seems particularly unclear in the rules or on a guide page. We want everything to be as clear as possible, but it's not easy to determine when something is unclearly phrased somewhere, or if it's just being overlooked or misread.

To answer your question, high arrest/execute skills have literally saved my life (and enabled me to profit enormously), but I play a pirate so I've been in a lot of risky situations - and maxed out dexterity+medical skills have been great for me to level quickly. But that does come down to people's career choices, of course.

swcforumsig

Year 20 Day 340 20:55
Not at all disagreeing with Syn. However, I do want to offer another perspective.

There can be benefits to diversifying for the kind of character archetype that you are creating. This is especially true if you intend to freelance, rather than become involved in a faction.

Faction work tends to revolve around a very specific set of tasks. Meaning, if you are a hauler, you need to be good at flying fast, but shooting a blaster isn't very important. If you are involved in mining, then Computer Operations skills might be more important.

If you are freelancing, you might need to switch between a number of different tasks. For example, I've run small scale manufacturing, hunted, scouted and run transport. And quite a few other things over the years. Those are very different skill sets.

I think Fighter/Freighter Piloting is a good freelance skill regardless. You can always fall back on running freight as that is a constantly needed service. However, I'm also competent in Combat with skills in Management, Perception and several other areas.

I'm not as capable at manufacturing as someone who primarily focuses in that area. However my goals and expectations are different than a faction worker who does nothing but manufacture. I only need to produce enough assets to support myself, rather than contributing to a group effort. I'm not as good at fighting as a full time soldier, but I'm very capable of knocking down bandits at a decent clip.

I do think, in the case of freelancing, that it is wise to ration your skill points until you are more aware of what tasks you are actually doing. My character has developed a diversified portfolio of skills and that works well for me. However, many freelancers do find value in specializing. Running freight can be a very lucrative career for a freelancer and you may find that focusing on that works for you. You may find that life as a bandit hunting mercenary for hire or a full-time scout is more to your liking.

Also, keep in mind, assets may change your play style. A new player has fewer options. Your choice of ship is limited. You lack the means to produce anything.

However, as your character evolves, that will bring new challenges in terms of figuring out how to incorporate new options into your play style and skill set. Manufacturing your own assets can be much cheaper than buying them. However, that will create new scenarios which could radically alter your skill selections.

As far as A/E and combat. Freelancers (even highly skilled ones) don't have much back up and lack the resources available to factions. Han Solo is good with a blaster, but he's even better at running away. Freelancers can't count on high skills to necessarily win a fight or avoid A/E. Those are useful, but you're better served to understand the combat and A/E rules. Your brain, a good bit of paranoia and a healthy dose of common sense will keep you alive a lot longer than throwing a 5 in Projectile Weapon.

Also, I've found even with regards to factions, diversity can be an asset. On the occasions where I have signed on with various factions, my glorious leaders have initially looked at my wide portfolio of skills with concern. Later discovering that mediocre is just another term for not bad. Having a hauler who can jump in and start some manufacturing, then zip off to survey a rival factions facilities, then quickly do a bit of prospecting. Even if I'm not the best option for any of those jobs, I can still do all of them.

That's useful.

Edited By: Bentake Hartok on Year 20 Day 340 22:02